My son is going to play ball in Saigon

Hi, I know this is probably covered a lot in this forum, but I need to know.  My son is half-Vietnamese and is being recruited to play basketball in Saigon.  What kind of visa would I have to get if I just want to come with him and live there?  I will not need to work, I am mostly retired now, and the work I do is strictly online which can be done anywhere. Will I need to leave the country often, or can I get a long-term visa?

Also, I am worried if I do not come with him. He is only 17 and never been anywhere without me. How safe is it there for teens? He is 6'2 and will stand out.

Thanks for all of your help

Creed

You can left him alone in HCM. It is not very safe but there is not many dangerous thing around

Dear Creed,

If you wanna bring your children to Viet Nam to play basketball in Saigon, you should to get Visiter visa first, then when you stay in Viet nam for a while, you can making Resedent card.
Temporary residence card is a document issued by an immigration authority or a competent authority of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to a foreigner who is permitted to reside in Vietnam for a certain period of time. This card has the same validity as a visa. Then you can stay in Viet Nam long - term. if you have any question please sent me: xxx

Besh wish,
Anna

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

When you say "recruited" do you mean that he will be playing professionally or for a school.  Which one would direct what type of visa or TRC he would be getting.  Your visa in turn could depend on his.

Why not just have whomever is recruiting your son, also provide you with a visa. If they could not provide a parent with a visa, I would question their capability of taking care your child. Perhaps you would need to pay for a portion, but I would not offer that at first.

If you want to go at it yourself, keep in mind there are plenty of visa vultures ready to take your money.

He hopefully will be playing in the new professional basketball team there and for the national team.  He is still young and that is why I think I should come with.

Thanks for you help!  I have read that some of the places online is not too reputable and I do not want to get stuck at customs with the wrong entry pass.

is his name Yao Meng?

Creed27 wrote:

He hopefully will be playing in the new professional basketball team there and for the national team.  He is still young and that is why I think I should come with.

If this is true then the team should handle everything including a residence permit for him and a visa (TT maybe, not sure) for you.  If you like, both of you could come over first on tourist or even short term sponsored work visas, negotiate the deal, then go back briefly to come in with long term status.  The team really should be finding decent housing for both of you as well.