Best place to live in Montenegro, how to get legal status

I am contemplating moving or buying property in Montenegro to rent and then eventually retire in. Where is the best place to live by the beach and how do I attain legal residency? Is it easy? Thank you.

Hey there, there's about as many places in Montenegro, as there are tastes.... It really depends what you like. Ulcinj, Bar, Petrovac, Budva, Kotor, Tivat, Lustica, Herceg Novi are all coastal areas, and all are very different. You'd probably have to experience all of them to decide which one is for you !

If you buy property, you will obtain residency based on that, it is currently the easiest way.

Cheers and welcome!

You can also get temporary residency if you register a company in Montenegro.

How do I go about doing that? How much does it cost?

Send me a PM and I will email you the contacts of my accountant and she'll explain it to you by email. We're not allowed to give personal info here I think.

If you register a company it will cost you c. 500e set up costs, then c. 200e/months for accountant fees + social contributions.

That's the 2nd best way to get residency.

That's true Tsarine.
A lot of people are doing it in Podgorica however, while they 'test the waters' of living in Montenegro. They set up a company, rent an apt for a year and then decide if to buy and continue living here.

Of course.
Alternatively you can also stay 3 months in, 3 months out, and again... with a tourist visa, without having to set up a company.
Ideally you'd do Sept-Oct-Nov and then March-Apr-May, so you'd avoid the rainy season, and the tourist season :)
You just need to pay the tourist tax in that case, which is c. 0.7€ per day.

Thank you,

i just got most of my documents for temporary residence application just have to get health insurance now to complete application but i am getting different comments from people regarding the length of time i can be out of Montenegro with the temporary residence some have said i cannot leave Montenegro for more than one month because the temporary residence will cease if you are out of the country for more than one this true ?

Questions and answers about Montenegro

Ask your question
Rouge Diamond
Old stone house restoration
By Rouge Diamond
Land ownership
By kumbor
Ed and Abby
Receiving Mail in Montenegro?
By Ed and Abby
Paypal in Montenegro
By opjm123
Are you happy in Montenegro?
By Priscilla

Expatriate health insurance in Montenegro

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Montenegro

Moving to Montenegro

Find tips from professionals about moving to Montenegro

Travel insurance in Montenegro

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Montenegro

Flights to Montenegro

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Montenegro