Am seeking information on transportation, is a car a necessity if I find housing close to everything?

A car is not necessary, if you don't mind walking and are close. You can always get a taxi or motoconcho or gua gua if you need to go a further distance. Where are you going to be located? I know there is also a bus in Puerto Plata, although I've never taken it.

Thank you! I was really hoping I would not need a car. I am looking to move to Cabarete or near there. Am planning on visiting soon and checking out housing when I get there.

That's the best way for you to figure out your needs - find where you're going to live, and go from there :).

Cabarete,  you can likely walk for most things.  If you travel further  the gua gua or a carro publico!  Gua gua looks like a small bus or a van.  Carro publico are private cars who drive a route and you waive them down.

Please be very very careful of motoconchos. We have a ridiculous number of people killed every year in motorcycle accidents.  What is your life worth???  A taxi or carro publico is a cheap enough option!

Parking in Cabarete is very hard to find.  A car would be a useless in town.

Bob K

Great point Bob.

Questions and answers about transports

Ask your question
Road from Ciabo Airport to Las Terrenas
By Travelove
Where to buy a good used car
By brodies2013
one way flight
By cirock
taxi fares from Puerto Plata to Maco
By cirock
UAE Steve
Motorcycles in DR
By UAE Steve
Jannie 123
Shipping a ATV to the Dominican Republic
By Jannie 123

Expatriate health insurance in Dominican Republic

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Dominican Republic

Moving to the Dominican Republic

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Dominican Republic

Travel insurance in Dominican Republic

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the Dominican Republic

Flights to the Dominican Republic

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the Dominican Republic