Vietnamese driving license information

While I've read that only Vietnamese can get a driving license in Vietnam, this seems to be wrong according to a travel agency website.
If you are a tourist's here is where to go
Office of Traffic and Public Works
16 Cao Ba Quat st. Ha Noi

In HCMC

63 Ly Tu Trong Ho Chi Minh City

For residents

Automotive Training and Mechanism
83A Ly Thoung Kiet
Ha Noi

Office of Transportation
63 Ly Tu Trong
Ho Chi Minh City

The cost is $1.5, yes a buck and a half, plus copies of passport, 3 photos, translation and notorization of documents.
Turn around time of 5 days.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, like that wouldn't happen, lol, (just making it easier on the criticizers)

Foreigners can indeed get a VN licence, usually for the same classification of vehicle and time limit as their overseas licence.  I have a full VN driving licence for car and motorbike, without time limit, because I sat for and passed the road rules test in the Vietnamese language.

Thanks Ralph for the confirmation. Well meaning folks sometimes pass erroneous information. To the expat wannabes like me, we need factual not anecdotal information. Thanks again

Ralph congratulations its no small feat to pass the test in Vietnamese.

..???    ..we would agree, but...

Standing beside his better half..?   

How could he fail?         :cool:

Bazza you bad....lol.. better that than no better half at all. I would surely flunk the test because I'm stuck with the worst half, namely me... he,he

ralphnhatrang wrote:

Foreigners can indeed get a VN licence, usually for the same classification of vehicle and time limit as their overseas licence.

This was case before, but now it is only as long your Visa is valid.

And yes, you only need your license and translation of it.

Havaianu wrote:

Ralph congratulations its no small feat to pass the test in Vietnamese.

Or you do as so many locals.. you pay.. then you are pointed the right answers.... that might be the reason why so many people don't know how to drive in roundabouts...

"Don't know how to drive, period", would be more accurate !!!!