Dare YOU All To Contribute PositiveLY

Dear All

Something I thought interesting to do, which might benefit all of us.

I invite u to mention one good thing u have seen as been good in Libya, this is to share with all of us.

I think some will come back with negative remarks, but remember we are not in perfect-opia (because it has never existed anywhere).

LIBYA IS BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY, you are safe, enjoying good weather, and achieving what u r here to do.

REGARDS

Well you can buy Marmite here now. That's progress :)

in my opinion best thing u'll find in Libya is people, whatever people do / say but i think deep inside they r really good (most of them). and always there for each others .. even for foreigners.

Progress is being noticed Mudman :)

I think it's the same as it was 2 years ago when I landed here!

Gernademan

But u r still here after two years, is not that wonderfull

Somethings are not bad after all

Regards

No Friday and Saturday night drunk teenagers hanging around city centre and taking the p*ss.

No gun crimes and gangs chasing each other on the streets.

No proud racists that verbally abusing foreigners from time to time.

Hello everyone, I'm from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil ( that's in south America ) :)
and in the past few years I have noticed and improvment in the medical
sector, although big steps must be still made.
I am also glad to find almost everything in the supermarkets same as my beloved Brazil ( except for the caeperina which is still not available, and quite expensive from the beach side of gergaresh :)
and all in all it's generaly safe and cleaner than the previous years.

As we say in Brazil " feliz ano nuevo " :D

By the way, appreciate your positive attitude :top: keep it up and hope to read more of your fresh insights :top:

Garbage.

When I was here 3 years ago there was nothing even close to waste collection system. It's still far from perfect but progress has been quite visible:)

Lots of expats i know love the quality of vegetables available in the Libyan markets.

Enjoy, i love oranges; make sure u & ur kids eat plenty of them, makes ur system more immune to sickness.

Regards

Sweet Libya et al.
Of course Libya is a beautiful land and many Libyan people are fascinating, no questions about that. But that must be a valid general statement for all lands and all peoples, no?
Just like I do not enjoy all-Libya-bashing attitudes, I don't think I find this "let's go all positive!" attitude very useful.
How about let's be realistic, and put humor in the service of improvement. This is what I see on this list and find it more helpful than any form of  "all positive" attitude.
Yes Libyans, many of them, maybe most of them, are wonderful people. Claiming the opposite would be nonsensical. It is not a critique of them personally when people wish for:
-better garbage collection
-better traffic rules, regulations, attitudes
-more disciplined store hours, customer relations
-better access to public services (i.e. without knowing someone who is someone!!!)
-more public art, concerts, galleries... {com'on, Libya is a rich country; you can afford more music, dancing and painting of good quality!]
- ... [list can go on and on, as in many parts of the world]

I hate myself for not speaking Arabic (only been here for a few months), that would give me much better insights. I love the fruits and vegetables here, I love the enthusiasm (and sense of humor when we can overcome the language barrier) of the local residents. I love their gentle and polite attitudes. I love the beautiful ocean, the wonderful desert. And still I'll never stop complaining about the lack of proper garbage collection, customer relations and most importantly the traffic. And yes, I want to see public art! We all do, tv sucks!

Having lived in the US for a long time, I really don't see much value in that let's go positive attitude. Let's be realistic, let's allow our sense of humor to explore possibilities of constructive criticism.

Happy, healthy new year, of course!
fk.

Thank u fat...

i really liked ur feedback, i appreciate the time and honesty displayed in ur remark above;

but allow me to explain few things, there seems to be some misunderstanding, at least thats what i think, i might be wrong.

Positive attitude goes hand in hand with constructive criticism; constructive criticism is always welcome and is what we like to see as Libyans so we can benefit from the expats living & visiting Libya, as a matter of fact that's the least expected from everybody.

for the things u have mentioned such as traffic, garbage, ..etc i agree with u, we still have ways to go, but progress is being made, things dont just happen over night. i know u r new here & been here only for few months now, thats why u did not see the progress.

Anyways i once again admire ur courage and honesty, and personally i dont mind constructive criticism as i said earlier, so be my guest.

Regards

Dear Members,

one of the members privately informed me that the title of this topics is some what intimidating (referring to DARE YOU); i apologize if it was interpreted in such a way.

What i had in mind is challenge not intimidate; as everybody might know English is a rich language and words have many meanings depending on the context of a sentences.

anyways it was nice for such a member to approach me and offer a kind advice.

Thank you

Regards

:) or :(

Pick a Face

Which One?

Regards

:)

I choose this FACE

Regards

I was sure that sooner or later it will evolve to pure SweetLibya topic:)

And I really don't understand this compliments for fruits and vegetables. In Poland stuff is mostly cheaper and of better quality. I would expect that a country between Africa and Italy would be the food haven also when it comes to vegetables. Especially tomatoes. In Poland during summer I can choose from ten different kind of tomatoes, in winter maybe from 3-4, and to be fare during winter they are more expensive than here, but still when talking about groceries I don't find Libya appealing.

To end positively...

Sahara's great:)

Nothing, and I mean absolutely, positively nothing can outclass the genius that is the Libyan flag.

....perhaps you could enlighten us with a new flag :lol:
did you pop that christmas gift out of there moe ?!? :lol:

@polish smarty : i really hope this developes in a pure SweetLibya thread :D
btw why do they make so many jokes about you guys ?

i didn't choose to be Libyan, i just got lucky !!! :lol:

Is this thread for real??  :huh:

I see pink bunnies, blue skies, pretty rainbows, oh my!!!!

Ooooopppss sorry, that wasn't positive at all, was it? :|

no TROLL please concentrate on the initial topic, thanks

Napalm wrote:

@polish smarty : i really hope this developes in a pure SweetLibya thread :D
btw why do they make so many jokes about you guys ?

i didn't choose to be Libyan, i just got lucky !!! :lol:

Polish smarty:) What a funny fellow, this Napalm is...

You guys meaning what exactly? Expats? Poles? All my different nicks at this forum? Sorry, just one nick.

If you guys meaning Poles, then don't worry. For each and everyone there's three about Russian, German, Brit and French guy. No Libyan I regret. So are they so popular in Dubai, that you have to ask?

SweetLibya wrote:

Dear All

Something I thought interesting to do, which might benefit all of us.

I invite u to mention one good thing u have seen as been good in Libya, this is to share with all of us.

I think some will come back with negative remarks, but remember we are not in perfect-opia (because it has never existed anywhere).

LIBYA IS BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY, you are safe, enjoying good weather, and achieving what u r here to do.

REGARDS

:cheers::cheers:    :cheers:LIBYA IS BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY, you are safe, enjoying good weather, and achieving what u r here to do.    :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

I know a lot of Libyans like to bag on thier medical care here but.....
A friend of mine cut her finger and off to the hospital we went.
We walked into the hospital told the desk what was wrong, went to the back area where the doctors, found one without patients, they stitched her up and we were out of there within 20 minutes.  Cost?  5 or 10 dinar... less than $7 US. 
Note: In US this would have take HOURS and the cost would have been well over $100 (if you have insurance) and who knows how much if you don't. 
Same thing with a voluntary tooth extraction - no appointment, little waiting, and 5 dinar.

Amazing!!!!

Mmm, my landlord attention is excellent, the clerk @ Tefal in Gargarish is awesome (nice expresos while you look @ the store).bad side: pigs always willing to take money from you

Hello Guys,

I wanted to add some general thoughts of mine as well.

I am a PROUD LIBYAN, lived alittle bit here and there, visited alot of countries as well, some even less developed than Libya, believe it or not!! :) and I loved every place I stepped in. in some countries the cuisine, in some the Art, in others the History and most importantly the people. I grow up in Malta, and I remember I hated it, and I always wanted to visit Libya to see all my family and cousins whom I love so much, and when I came back to Libya to actually STAY ,I went into a very terrible depression as a teenager, I am sure you won't be able to imagine it, I didn't leave the house for 2 long years, until my father decided to seek professional Help, so he took me to a therapist in Lozan,Switzerland, obviously I didn't like where I was, although I was Libyan in my home land (AND THE WAS THE PROBLEM), so he asked me, to list the things that I like and don't like about Libya, in the end the "I Like" List was longer than the "don't like list", why? because I listed the people and objects that I loved the most in my life (Ex, Family members, big house, swimming pool, our dog, the Orange tree we had in our back yard, my Piano....etc) moral of the story, there will always be somethings that you like or don't like in your life anywhere, the secret lies in:
1- appreciating what you have and where you are, because we all leave one day (travel somewhere else or even the long lasting trip).
2- where ever you go you will find different lands, cultures and ways of living, you just have to turn on your copying skills, and  (very important "respect")if you don't respect them, they won't respect you.
3- being positive makes life easier, and I think we all know how tough life can get.
4- think of the unfortunate ones, that have no roof over their heads, no food in their tables, no cars, and no one to protect and love them.
5- I like to quote my mom in this " heaven with out people is not worth stepping in" and an other phrase that I can't remember who said it but it is so beautiful " Tutto il mondo e' paese = the whole world is one country"

Cheers,

MB

Munita

Thanks for sharing such a personal experience with us, i found ur story & its moral very enlightening;

Regards

Munita, you're a brave and confident young lady. Respect!

Freakyfingers : - spot on

SweetLibya wrote:

Munita

Thanks for sharing such a personal experience with us, i found ur story & its moral very enlightening;

Regards

I was Happy to share. :):):)

MoEl wrote:

Munita, you're a brave and confident young lady. Respect!

Thank you Mo :):top: