Keeping up with the news in Greece

Hello everyone,

Living in Greece provides countless occasions to browse local newspapers, listen to local radio stations or watch local TV shows. As everywhere else in the world, local media play a key role in informing the public.

What are the major media in Greece? Which one do you use on a regular basis?

How do you keep up with international issues (newspapers, radio, TV, Internet)?

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

Well I listen to the radio news and try to catch key words as my Greek is not good,I look at Greek news on line,I dont have a TV.I look at world news on line too,you just get the basics which is usually quite enough,I register with an on line news site which is probably more truthfull,although it reports the more sinister and depressing side of life and I guess has its own biases and tells you what it wants to,more brain-washing,theres no escape really and in the end I wonder why I bother.We used to have "The Athens News" paper but that went down in this crisis,that was in English and had been going for many years.It had changed in the run up to closing and wasnt so good,too much advertising and too little real reporting,perhaps because of financial restraints.Im glad not to watch news on a TV as its so hyped up and they take for ever to spit it out,all evening,the crazy dramatic music noise that goes with it.Its best to go to the "Good News sites"only and then you feel happy as you lay your head down on your pillow for the night.

Well I use the English sites mostly like Greek Current and Aikaterimini English, though sometimes the news is older, I can still catch something from the 9 O'clock news- with my limited greek,and also I use twitter where I follow some journalists who are English Speakers. I use online radio to listen to news from my country, etc..

Keep Talking Greece is an excellent website for Greek news in English and is updated daily. Best to subscribe (free) to receive email notifications of that day's news in summary (usually about 3 or 4 a day). Here's the link - Keep Talking Greece

I think I will do the same as in France when I'm in Greece. Watch TV and read news in the Internet. That's the easiest way, especially when you have a job that keeps you very busy. Often there is just not the time to read the newspaper.