Close
Follow all our news on Facebook!

Good lawyer in Ubud Bali ?

I built 17 years ago a house in Ubud Bali . This house is in Balinese style 2 levels with a main roof and a small roof all around the house to protect the doors and windows of garden level.
3 years ago I had to change the roof from thatch to tiles .
I have asked a local contractor to make the change. As  I am working in Jakarta I came only from time to time to monitor the work. Short after the end of work the small roof collapsed and I discovered that the contractor did not change the wooden structure , and used the old wood that was spoiled after exposition to the rain .
Since that time I have asked the contractor to repair this roof as guaranteed in the contract if any problem happens during 1 year after the end of work. But he keeps  promising and finding reasons to not start the work.
2 years of negotiations is too long and I need to start legal action.
If some members of the forum know a good and honest Balinese  lawyer ( better in Ubud) I would appreciate to get your advice
Thanks
PE

I am by no means an expert in matters like this, but in a small place like Ubud I would personally rather go through a mediator than risk making an enemy of a local contractor. But I am sure Ubudian will give you the necessary advice you require.

Check your own status to ensure you legally own the property before considering any legal action.
You could bring a lot of trouble to yourself or even lose it if you don't.
There are very few ways for an expat to own property here, and anything outside the rules could be an issue.

Thank you Hansson for your advice .It is wise. Actually I have already talked  to the head of banjar but as it is a small village and I am the only expatriate it seems that they don't mind and are not willing to intervene between a "bule" who they think he has a lot of money and a contractor who is part of the community.
Anyway legal action is still my last solution and I will try again to ask mediation from others as RT, RW.
All the best to you

Fred :

Check your own status to ensure you legally own the property before considering any legal action.
There are very few ways for an expat to own property here, and anything outside the rules could be an issue.

Yes you are right . Actually the land ( and the house) is owned by my wife who is Indonesian.
My will to know a good lawyer is mainly to show to the contractor that I can take legal action but as Hansson said it is better to use a mediator ( who could be this lawyer )

I’d give Henny Trisiaty a call and discuss your situation with her:

0813-1759-7383

PhilippeE :
Fred :

Yes you are right . Actually the land ( and the house) is owned by my wife who is Indonesian.
My will to know a good lawyer is mainly to show to the contractor that I can take legal action but as Hansson said it is better to use a mediator ( who could be this lawyer )

Make sure your prenup is in order so there is no question you own half the property.

OK Thank you.I''ll call her

Thank you again Roy for giving me the number of Henny. I called her and learned that her office is close to my house . I will meet her when I go to Ubud, may be next week.

Expatriate health insurance in Bali

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Bali

Moving to Bali

Find tips from professionals about moving to Bali

Travel insurance in Bali

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Bali

Flights to Bali

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Bali