Las Terrenas the best place to retire

First welcome to the forum. You will find some very friendly and well informed folks here.  Many of us (me for 7+ years) have lived here for a while and are familiar with some of the "ropes"
LT is a very nice area to settle in.  Lots of expats from all over (a majority probably French) the world and nice sense of community. Some beautiful beaches and countryside and I would not worry about the weather. You will see lots more sun than rain. It is the tropics though so always a chance of an afternoon or evening shower but not on most days.
Have you been here before???
If not and you have not settled on the LT area I would come spend a month or so and explore all areas of the country before settling on your location.
In any event welcome and feel free to ask away. Someone here will have the answers you are looking for.

Bob K

Thanks Bob, I appreciate the quick response.  We were suppose to come down last summer but plans changed at last minute.  We certainly plan on coming down and spend 3 to 4 weeks before making our final decision but so far LT is the front runner as it checks all the boxes as far as what we are looking for.

Nice to hear the weather is not an issue and there is plenty of sun. One more box to check...

Can't wait to come down.

Thanks

Mike

LT is humid and it certainly gets more rainfall than PC which is dry and has beautiful weather year round. LT is also lacking many of the amenities PC offers: several supermarkets, shopping malls, movie theaters, etc. It is not as large and spread out,and it has mountains with lots of lush, green areas, whereas  PC doesn't. Both are nice but there is more poverty in LT , and expats have their own small groups.

And.... The drive like crazy in the small streets there... Many 4 wheelers and moto's, all going 90 miles an hour..... Lots of French people.... They do have some really nice apartments etc. that are not too expensive.

You might also drive up the road a piece from LT and check out the Sosua/Cabarete area. This is where we settled 7 years ago.

Bob K

Steve,

Are there Spanish language schools in Samana? I like the area and my wife and I are considering a move. We would like to do a few weeks "test drive" in early 2015.

Thanks,

Mongo

Language schools in Samana or LT?

Nice hotels in LT? Suggestions?

I will leave it up to those in the know in that area. My info is out dated!!!

Sorry cant help with these questions you might post this question in the appropriate thread on dr1.com
Do note and ignore any "idiot" answers you get, and there may be some.

Bob K

My Husband and I are looking for  part time Caribe Home/Condo to live part time to Retire...money will not be an issue...However I have a successful Business doing Permanent Cosmetics in Northern California making about 80,000 USD per year.... I would be nice to do this work in the Area I choose to live.. Even just a few clients a week would be nice....Not too worried about that....I do speak Spanish...Its the lack of shopping/ Costco/Sams Club that worries me....
We considered Belize...But those Chinese mini markets would mean I would have to do without.....
Whats up with the shopping??? Shopping in a store the size of a gas station wont work!

Access to shopping will be an issue in Las Terrenas!  You might want to consider one of the other areas!

AND welcome to the forums,  please go to the Introduce yourself thread for the DR and  let us know more about you!

In the last 4 months we have traveled to Belize, Costa Rica and Cancun....We were in Punta Cana last summer and really liked it...My Husband wants to look at Las Terrenas???? Is it American friendly? We will be expats going back and forth to the states,,,,looking for a gated community,,,safety is a huge concern for me...We sail and plan to get a Cat to keep there....This is not a full time thing,,,,We love this part of the world and want to live there 3 to 6 months out of the year....We plan of visiting Las terrenas in the next few months...Not sure if this is even close to what we are looking for,,,,we ruled out Belize,,,,Mexico,,,,Panama and Costa Rica are still options>>>

The area is a paradise , however much more european settled than Canadian, american etc shopping Lame!Stock up on your Boat! Punta Cana is much more improved for supplies shopping etc ,very flat touristy , Las TERRANAS drop down gorgeous , but is a bit dicey security wise and very limited by it position in the DR. Cabarete is a better fit ,however not for boating ( too bad). https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ … =666511315

For boating  most go to Luperon but same issue with shopping etc.  I would think either Punta Cana or La Romana will work well for you.  Shopping is good and close enough,  Lots of gated communities.....

Actuallly there is a marina in Puerto Plata (Confresi) as well as you can moor in Sosua bay.

Bigger stores here for sure

Bob K

Me bad...Welcome to the forum

Bob K

Bob do you know how expensive and not well set up is the cofresi marina?  Issues with the way it was constructed apparently.

The one I am talking about is at Ocean World and set up pretty good but expensive.

BObK

Yup the only one in Cofresi. Boaters will tell you most slips have issues due to movement ....... the breakwater wasnt built well enough or something like that.

Actually the marina is oriented incorrectly so not much protection.  When wind is up or waves active there is no barrier in the correct place to prevent "action" in the bay.  It is in no way hurricane proof or should be considered a Hurricane Hole.  Only one of those in the area and one of the best in the Caribbean is in Lupron.

Bob K

And being on the Atlantic there is almost always "wave action" so not a good place to put an expensive boat.

But they have some VERY expensive ones moored there.

Bob K

Yes they do probably due to the fact here is NO WHERE ELSE to go that is close to Puerto Plata, closest is Luperon.  Bob I only know what boat owners have told me.

Your information is pretty accurate

Bob K

Have you checked Casa de Campo and its marina? It is still one of the loveliest areas in Dominicana, where top artists, politicians, and well-known figures choose to stay when they come for a rest. Definitely upscale, with no security issues and close to la Romana, and not too far from la capital and its numerous malls. You can find lots of info on the internet.
The only other place would be Cap Cana, with its beautiful marina. Maybe you checked it out when you were in Punta Cana.

They are looking for something on the north coast

Bob K

I don't see anything except an expressed interest in visiting las Terrenas, definitely not a shopping mecca, and with great security problems due to the lack of foreign tourists. Samana has a marina, definitely very lovely:
http://www.puertobahiasamana.com/en/marina.html

Yes that is correct, they expressed an interest in Las Terrenas to see if it meets their needs BUT they do not appear stuck on any specific location and in fact liked Punta Cana.

There are some very nice places on the south coast and the east coast as well!  Casa de campo has a nice marina, but pricey.  Shopping is not too far away but not as nice as Punta Cana.  Best shopping on the island is in Santo Domingo  - with the new highway La Romana is 1 hour and 15 minutes away, Casa de Campo is 1 hour 30 away,  Punta Cana is about 2 hours away,  Samana is about 2 hours 30 away............

From the north coast the best shopping is in Santiago -  from Luperon that would be 1 hour 30 away, from Puerto Plata 1 hour 15.

Hi. just wondering would anybody know how long of a drive it is from the capital to Las Terennas. I will be in the capital and considering a drive up there to check it out.  Also whether its a simple drive,  a straight drive, straight road or 'other'.

It will be about a 3 hour drive or so from the airport area. Add more time if leaving from down town area.  The roads are pretty good and the new highway cuts out a lot of time but is expensive and be very careful as the monitor the speeds and the turns are NOT banked so very dangerous at high speeds especially when wet.  The roads are pretty well marked but still in places confusing.
Why not take the bus?

Bob K

Thanks Bob.

Ill already be in the capital with a rental anyways. I also like to sightsee during vacation, stopping off and checking out scenery along the way.  I also love road trips, and prefer to stay mobile anyways being able to come and go when I desire.

I've drove before..  From San Pedro to Puerto Plata, then from PP to La Romana! Then the next day I drove back to Juan Dolio (SanPedro area)  No problems actually loved it!

Then you should have a great time.

Bob K

A few months ago, we drove from Sosua to Samana, then to Las Torenas and back to Sosua using the new highway. 

The road from Samana to Las Terrenas is good, but is a winding mountain road.  As you are driving along, people on motorbikes will come up beside you and want you to roll down the window  acting as if it's urgent to tell you something.  We listened to the first one (very dangerous as we were listening and driving and focusing on avoiding this motorbike all at the same time) but it turns out that it is just a sales pitch for horse rides in the mountains.

The new highway was great on the way back - spectacular views over the coast and almost no traffic -  note that it is a toll highway so you will need some cash at the entry/exit.

My husband and I are African American and we are thinking of moving to Las Terrenas for a couple of years (or longer, who knows) and I need some idea of how Blacks are accepted in the expat and Dominican communities there. We are planning on taking a Spanish class but is that enough for us to get around. We are older and retired. Actually moving for the beauty of the land and waters not to do a lot of socializing, tho some would be nice.
Also, want to rent long term villa. Can someone give me a good website for nice house in LT. Have 3 dogs so need land.
How much would you think the rental and other expenses such as food, dinning out, etc. would run us per month? We are not extravagant people at all. But still must count the cost.

We are multi cultural and cross many colors.  This willl not be an issue.

Sorry, i cant help much with the rest.

Back, yellow, red, green, white, striped it does not really matter here.

A good basic lifestyle will run you between $1500 and $2500 USD a month. This will vary depending on lifestyle.

As to rentals sorry I can't  help there.

Bob K

Hi, I am trying to convince my husband to live outside the us for at least half the year, the cold half. I read your blog on  the Dominican republic. I am looking for a safe, not humid, but not cold place to live on a social security budget. Any info would be appreciated. I am also concerned about hurricanes. Thanks

Chewey welcome to the DR forum.  You will find lots of good folks with lots of information to share.

If you have not been here before then you need to take a couple of trips to the DR and explore you possibilities.  There are lots of good areas with "snow birds" as well as full time Expats. This country is not however for everyone so you do need to come and see if it fits you.   You might consider coming for a couple of months this winter or next.

Again welcome to the forum

Bob K