Approximate expected package

Hi,
A local conglomerate is offering me a position of DGM, Corporate Strategy HR on a 2-year contract, and extendable after that. They told me they offer accommodation and  transport. Insurance covered. Net income as they will pay for the taxes. A once a year visit will be provided only after completing the first year. Question is, they are asking me how much is my expected package. Can anyone give me some insights and thoughts about this? And how much is the range i shld ask for? Would appreciate it very much.

Thanks!

Hi Darylwsy,

Welcome on board  :)

Since the new members thread is only dedicated to the introduction of new members, this new thread has been created from your post on the Myanmar forum.

Hope it helps you in getting some feedbacks.

All the best,
Bhavna

Thanks alot!  I really hope i cn get some input before i decide on the offer.

Just to recap on my questions:

1. What is the average monthly rate for a fully furnished one-bedroom equipped with wifi, washer and dryer around Sanchaung area? If not, at least a place nearby, and with walking distance to a market for groceries and general living needs?

2. I am a Malaysian. I have done a bit of research online and it seems thatvthe living cost in Yangon is rather high. Possibly higher than Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. Is it true?

3. The company is giving me a usd1000 monthly  for housing allowance. Would that be enough for a fully furnished apartment i need with wifi, washer n dryer, and walking distance to a market for my groceries and standard needs?

4. In addition to the usd1000 housing allowance, they provide transport to and fro office and not for other usage. No education allowance etc. The return flight back to home country will only be given upon completing the first 12 months of service. I find that their benefits are rather 'bare'. Can anyone give me some input on the general package for an expat in Yangon please?

Thank you so much!

Hello

Fellow Malaysian.  Answers questions based on my experience  as below:-

1. What is the average monthly rate for a fully furnished one-bedroom equipped with wifi, washer and dryer around Sanchaung area? If not, at least a place nearby, and with walking distance to a market for groceries and general living needs?

RANGE STARTS FROM USD 700 above for a good one.

2. I am a Malaysian. I have done a bit of research online and it seems thatvthe living cost in Yangon is rather high. Possibly higher than Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. Is it true?

YES.you are correct. We have been living here  for almost 4 years. Find it cheaper to cook at home.

3. The company is giving me a usd1000 monthly  for housing allowance. Would that be enough for a fully furnished apartment i need with wifi, washer n dryer, and walking distance to a market for my groceries and standard needs?

POSSIBLE.  if you can find a honest agent. I can introduce  to you my agent that helped me with  my house.

4. In addition to the usd1000 housing allowance, they provide transport to and fro office and not for other usage. No education allonce etc. The return flight back to home country will only be given upon completing the first 12 months of service. I find that their benefits are rather 'bare'. Can anyone give me some input on the general package for an expat in Yangon please?

EDUCATION is very expensive  here as we are foreigners  are only allowed to go to international  school.  Honestly  I think your package  is  for single person. What about meal allowance ? Transportation  system  here is still non existence  .. only public  buses or vans. And expensive  taxi that doesn't go by meter.

Normally fly back should  be  included in the very beginning.  2 times a year fly back is reasonable. And education provided if your on a family package.

Hi Maxychong,

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm..seens like i have been short changed on the benefits. Cos they insist that the flight back is only after completion of one year of service.

And the so-called Housing Allowance is in fact Housing Benefits. Meaning, they will pay for tge housing up to usd1000 per month. I will not be able to collect or keep any balance even if the housing is less than usd1000.

I will be flying over on the 7th Sept itself, and starting work the next day. They will put me up at a hotel while i search for a place. 

Would appreciate if you can recommend a good agent. Hopefully someone who can speak English.

I heard dat the water quality there is pretty bad.   Hence, water quality in most apartment is similar too. How do you deal with this problem?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Do you have whatapp  or viber? I can get my agent to call  you. 

We don't  drink water from  the tap or boil water with it. We just buy  water by liter. Including  water  for cooking we used bottled  water like Alpine brand.

Noted. Thanks for the input. I hv a friend whi gv me his agent contact too. Is that ok to hv 2 agents in terms of the Myanmar culture?

Thanks. My Malaysian number is xxx.

Once again, thanks alot.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Be careful while posting numbers. They should be exchanged via the private messaging system. Number already sent to member

Is up to you in terms of agents.  When I first arrived. I had 1 agent showing  me around.but not to my liking.  After that  I found another agent. Different  agents has different  units.in.their contact list. So depending if they have what you wanted. There's  no obligation. But is important to get one that can help you to negotiate with the owner to include what you  want in your overall budget of 1k.

Your number don't  appeared in the message .

Hello everyone,

@ Maxychong, you will find the number in a private message i sent you yesterday. Click on the envelope icon on the top of the page.

Cheers,
Bhavna

Hi maxychong,
I hv sent you my number and the web admin has forwarded it to you as i understand. Dis you get it?

By the way, need your input in the matter of sending money back to Malaysia. What are the processes? How do i send money back? What are the charges?

I still have bills that i have to continuously pay monthly back in Malaysia. By trabsferring money back to a Malaysian bank, say...Maybank, is there a lost in exchange rate, admin fees and such? Or is there other ways?

Sorry for this dumb question. Will be first time doing this. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot!

I got your number and have passed it to Susan my agent. She will contact you. Are you on viber or whatapp?

There is no easy way to transfer money around. You either have a multi currency account with on line facilities or like what I normally does is pay online Malaysian recurring items with  Malaysian credit card and top up my account when we get home every  quarter.

Hi Maxychong and Darylwsy

Is it possible for you to share your agent's contact?
Cheers

Rs

Hi, I'm Dwianto.
I am Indonesian
I got an offer to work in Myanmar, C-Level position for Projects and Operational at Telecommunications Company
Placement in Yangon

Can anyone give an idea of the estimated salary package that I can negotiate with my agent?

And how about tolerance there, related that I am a Muslim

thank you very much for your input and information

Regards

HI All, I have just got myself registered in the forum. I am from India and staying in Mumbai

I am currently in discussion with a company for a job in Yangon. Hence just wanted some help with the package perspective. I have in total 14 years experience in Marketing. Hence just wanted some help regarding what should be my monthly salary for a Director level person. Any guidance in this will be much appreciated