How to Choose Internet Provider and Get Access for Apartment in Oaxaca

Hi, have been using Airbnb for rentals, but find that they are more expensive than furnished apartments on Vivanuncios. Vivanuncio apartments don't offer Internet many times, however. Can someone tell me how I would take care of that myself.

Where would I go to order? How long would it take for them to come out and install? Would they require permanent resident status? That was the case when I tried to buy monthly Telcel access...all advice appreciated!

Oldladyman wrote:

Hi, have been using Airbnb for rentals, but find that they are more expensive than furnished apartments on Vivanuncios. Vivanuncio apartments don't offer Internet many times, however. Can someone tell me how I would take care of that myself.

Where would I go to order? How long would it take for them to come out and install? Would they require permanent resident status? That was the case when I tried to buy monthly Telcel access...all advice appreciated!

What Internet provider do you have at your latest Airbnb rental?
Ask around.
Based on experience in 3 cities, Megacable is probably the least reliable, Infinitum from Telmex may be the one with the most uptime.  If it only Internet, it may be your best bet.  For cable, Sky or Dish from Telmex too which may require you to get a landline.  Cheap enough.

Whichever vendor you choose, you need to go to their store with passport, ID, copy of rent contract or utility bill in your name.  Take someone who speaks Spanish and decent English if you don't.

Procedures and service reliability vary greatly from one city to another and you should expect some delay or surprise.

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds exactly like what I've been avoiding!

What about changing locks? How does this work with landlords in Mexico? It seems like their thing is if the previous tenant returned the key, there's nothing to worry about...they don't offer fresh locks to each renter right?

Oldladyman wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds exactly like what I've been avoiding!

What about changing locks? How does this work with landlords in Mexico? It seems like their thing is if the previous tenant returned the key, there's nothing to worry about...they don't offer fresh locks to each renter right?

Previous landlords had no objection as long as I left them a copy.  The ones I've had have been trustworthy.  I appreciated because in the last couple of years I have locked myself out infrequently.

Thanks for sharing!! Appreciate it.