Celta Qualified and finding work in Ho Chi Minh as an English Teacher

Hi,

Just searching for some advise.

I am looking to become Celta qualified and teach English in Ho Chi Minh City. I do not have a batchelors degree. I am native English and hold an in-class TEFL certificate.

My question is, would I be able to find work as an English teacher in a good school with a salary to support rent and bills etc, without a batchelors degree? Is a Celta qualification as good and as recognised in Vietnam as having a degree?

Thanks very much for your advise and help.

Sam

Is it batchelor or bachelor? You wrote it twice so I don't think it's a typo

SammytheSwan wrote:

I am looking to become Celta qualified and teach English in Ho Chi Minh City. I do not have a batchelors degree. I am native English and hold an in-class TEFL certificate.

My question is, would I be able to find work as an English teacher in a good school with a salary to support rent and bills etc, without a batchelors degree? Is a Celta qualification as good and as recognised in Vietnam as having a degree?

A CELTA is not recognized in place of a degree but it is largely perceived as the best TEFL qualification by employers in Vietnam. However by law you must have a Bachelor's degree plus a TEFL certificate to qualify for a work permit and 2 year residency card which is the only legal way to teach in Vietnam.  Note that I am not saying that you will not find work.  It is just that you will find yourself in the morass of visa agents, 90 day extensions, and border runs to Cambodia as well as being theoretically subject to deportation.   I think one can overcome the lack of a degree with documented 5 years of experience but it is difficult, and from your introduction it does not seem that you qualify that way.  I had a fellow teacher who like you did not have a degree and it took over $1000US through a somewhat slippery character to get his work permit.

Another small piece of advice:  Lose the beard before you go job hunting in Vietnam.  It will grow back.

Hypothalamus wrote:

Is it batchelor or bachelor? You wrote it twice so I don't think it's a typo

Batchelor is a Anglo-Norman surname so I wouldn't make too much of it.  If you knew someone with that name it would be a natural mistake.