Close

English exam in Pembroke Primary

Hi everyone,

My daughter is going to study in Pembroke Primary school starting from this September. She is 8 years old, so it is supposed to be Level 4. I've been told that she will need to pass the test to find out her level of English. If it is not good enough, she will have to study English and Maltese during one year. Could anyone clarify whether it means that she will learn these languages in addition to school program, or instead of visiting the school itself? I wouldn't want her to miss the whole scolastic year. Will appreciate the answers, thanks guys!

Hi,
A colleague's children will be going through the same - I understood that they will have English lessons in the morning for a while (not the whole year), but will be in school in the afternoon. I think it's to ensure they have enough English to get by, but kids pick it up quickly any way.

My son went through the same, it sometimes depends on school to school but most of the state schools are 90% maltese students, and therefore teachers tend to do alot of the teaching in maltese if possible. I would encourage you to learn as much maltese and english asap to make things easier

Michelle Attard :

but most of the state schools are 90% maltese students

this is false statement
school in areas with lot of expats - sliema, st julians, gzira, bugibba, st paul bay , have more of 60-40, or 50-50 ratio

for exp. I know for sliema and gzira goverment school's that they teach in maltese - religion and maltese, other subject are mostly in english

Questions and answers about school and studies

Ask your question
Gernats
St Clare's Pembroke
By Gernats
Dorieus
Schools for A levels - at 18 years old
By Dorieus
Amofree
Hamidt
Language College
By Hamidt
ash73
Enrolling Kids in a Maltese Primary School..
By ash73
SummerJessica
Do state schools teach in English?
By SummerJessica

Expatriate health insurance in Malta

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Malta

Moving to Malta

Find tips from professionals about moving to Malta

Travel insurance in Malta

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Malta

Flights to Malta

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Malta