Moving to Malta from UK - 2016/2017

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are contemplating moving to Malta early next year. We also have a 4 month old child and a dog. We have been talking about moving for a while now (for a better lifestyle and more family time) and decided that Malta may be the place to go!

We currently have very good jobs in the UK, my husband is a Lecturer and I'm a Property Manager however we are finding ourselves enjoying the life in the UK less and less, the weather is also a big factor!

I believe I may be able to get a job in the same trade however my husband might need to do something in sales and private music tuitions in spare time. I applied for a few jobs and already have a few interviews lined up this week however before we decide on the move I'd like to ask you all a few questions:

1. What is a good combined household income, expecting to spend around 500Eur for accommodation and full time Nursery for our daughter? We like to eat out once or twice a week (nowhere posh) and would like to have 1 (not too expensive) holiday a year.
2. We're lucky in the UK for having free medicine for children/child benefit etc, what do things like these look like in Malta? Is there any support? What is the health care system like?
3. Finally, are there any areas which you would suggest to avoid, or perhaps are not as nice/safe as others?

Thanks very much for all your answers in advance!

Marlena

Welcome,
I would start by reading through the many previous posts and 'Stickies' on this subject, which is probably the most asked question on here. Also use the search box and the topic list on the right hand side of the page.
Ray

Hi MarlenaA,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I also advise you to follow the very good advices of F0xgl0ve and feel free to have a look at the Living in Malta guide as well.

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

I think what everyone will ask you here, including what I was asked and the most logical and simple question is... have you visited Malta yet? :):)

makes a big difference on your decision to move

Are you not concerned about Brexit?

Julie2016 wrote:

Are you not concerned about Brexit?

If you really wanted to move here you would with or without Brexit.

Brexit?,  what better reason to leave the UK. Can't wait.

The big downside is that it has reduced income by around 17% in the space of a couple of months.
Whilst it will no doubt improve, I think it will take a number of years to do so and is costing us around €250-300 a month in the meantime.

Ray