Planning a life Defining move to Christchurch

My name is Nate Blessing and I am 20 years old and single, I was born and raised in Cincinnati and have lived their my entire life. I am currently pursuing a Bachelors of Science, Computer Engineering Technology degree from the University of Cincinnati and work as a Software Research and Development Engineer at Intelligrated. I realized that I don't want to grow old and have Cincinnati be all that I know, so I am taking action. A year and a half after I graduate, I will be moving to Christchurch, New Zealand to live and work. While enjoying my time in New Zealand I plan to expand my horizons and discover what New Zealand has to offer.

I would love to make some friends before I come over to New Zealand and gain some knowledge from individuals living in Christchurch.

Thanks for any responses and advice

To add some more detail. I will be in New Zealand in 5 years. I will be migrating through the skilled Migrant Category under job codes (261212, 261311, 261312, 261313, 261314, 261399, and 263111) with a level 7 qualification, Bachelors of Science Computer Engineering Technology Degree from the University of Cincinnati with 4 1/2 years of work experience.

I am migrating to Christchurch, I picked this city because I currently live in Cincinnati and Auckland would be too similar, Wellington has a high cost of living from what I can see through research compared to Christchurch. Christchurch has an abundance of positions available in my area of expertise (Software Engineering and Program Development) and has a smaller population compared to Cincinnati (little under 3 million).

Welcome to the forum Blessinj :)

I hope you will establish some nice contacts via our web community.

Wish you good luck for your relocation ;)

Regards

Hi Nate and welcome

The best advice I can give is to check out as many forums as you can as there are positive and negatives in every country.

You still have 5 years to do this.  :)

thanks to colinsmum, I now know that I should be on the look out for anti-american sentiment when in New Zealand.

For some more info, I do not plan to stay in Christchurch for the entire duration of my stay. Wellington and Auckland may be on my list and possibly Hamilton. Is there any other cities that I should live in that would have a large base of jobs?

Hi Blessinj,
I just come back from a scouting trip to NZ because I had a very similar plan to yours, except the moving part was in January 2012.
I strongly advise that you go at least once in a pre-moving trip (not a classical rented bus tour or a work holiday visa) before taking any rash decision. Though beautiful, the country is definitely not the postcard you may know through official channels or movies. The actual country is not the one you may have seen in The Lord Of The Rings.
My scouting trip (both islands, most major towns, numerous meetings with locals and expats) was more than enough to understand my move would have been very unwise even if I qualify for jobs and visas: I may have improved my quality of life but definitively lost a lot in level of life.
I would also give you the same advice than colinsmum: talk to people in your field of expertise, your age that live there and have lived for a while.
You really have to think about what you want to find, what you want to do, what you are willing to lose eventually, and why you are moving there. If it is out of boredom or fright regarding your present or future situation, please think twice.

Hi there,
I would definitely say, you're young, so why not?  I do think its a great idea to have a trip to visit and check the place out first, before deciding to get any kind of permanent residential status. Try a working holiday here maybe, that would give you plenty of time and insight into the country, some of the people, and the different areas.
I am in Christchurch, and if you are after a smaller town in NZ compared to the size of your Cincinatti, then Christchurch is definitely an option. Close to sea and mountains for hiking, winter and summer sports, all outdoor activities etc. It is relatively safe and quiet, and a good base for visiting the rest of the country with direct flights  etc in and out. Any questions about living here, feel free to ask!

You sound like you have done research and thought about it alot. If you come here and it doesnt work out, well, whats to lose? You will have visited a new country, met new people, seen a new culture etc, and nothing to stop you from going back home if you find you don't want to make your permanent home here. Act on your dream!!!

Thank you for your support. I have planned a trip to NZ in September to make sure that NZ is where I want to move to in the future. I picked September because I'm curious about NZ's winter, I know the summer is full of fun and activities and life, so I'm choosing to come in the winter to get a feel for it. I will be in NZ for 2 weeks. I'll spend a week of it in Christchurch because that is where I plan of moving to. Then fly to Wellington and stay for 2 days and then drive to Auckland and stop at various places on the way.

Do you have any insight to make this trip for successful in accomplishing its goal of familiarizing myself with New Zealand or any other ideas about the trip or places I must see.

And I plan on snowboarding in September somewhere around Christchurch, is the ski season still ok by then? and what outdoor activities are there to do in September?

Thanks