Close

21000 AED and saving

Miss_Wiggles :

Hi there,

I too received my pre-employment security check clearance a couple of weeks ago . I have been told that contracts are being drawn up now, & that when these have been signed visas will be processed. Not yet received final contract.

X

Your labour contract can be signed after joining and that will be drafted in Arabic. Now, MOL is not issuing the copy. So, don't worry.

Hi all well I am not a teacher I applied for a bartender position I'm female. I received my offer letter from etihad airways in july 22 all signed was told to do medicals all documents was sent by the 28th july. The agency (waitred) keeps intouch but keeps saying departure date is soon visa security check is almost done. I was told october would be long gone and im still here. Seems this visa issue is every where, I'm located in south Africa cape town. Its about 13 of us here waiting in visa and flights help would be great.

Hi

So I'm not clear on the next step; if pre-employmenr checks are done, what comes next ?

Miss_Wiggles :

Hi

So I'm not clear on the next step; if pre-employmenr checks are done, what comes next ?

You have no role in employment visa processing and it's the responsibility of your employer to issue the visa for you. Which means you are not the applicant, your employer is. So, don't worry :)

:)

Sorry, I'm going to be working for the Ministry of Education (public sector teaching) so the process is not identical to working in private sector I believe.

Thanks

Miss_Wiggles :

Sorry, I'm going to be working for the Ministry of Education (public sector teaching) so the process is not identical to working in private sector I believe.

Thanks

The delay in security clearance is for government sector.

hi
yes your employer will apply for the visa on your behalf and until they get it back to you...you are kinda at their behest.
good news is that when they take your passport they put you up in a nice hotel...while you get used to living here

Hello, I will be moving out to work in the UAE as a teacher too and I was wondering whether it is sociable? I am moving out alone and really excited about the job just  worried about making friends and having things to do on the weekend. Is there any opportunities to mix with other people?

Hi
I teach English to cycle2 in Ras Al Khamiah...everyones comments are pretty much how it is here...strange wonderful place....be flexible

hi
welcome to UAE
you'll probably have teachers at induction you'll hang with, then you'll meet others at the hotel you stay at...you'll meet some teachers at school
theres a brunch every friday somewhere...people are very social...we just have to be creative as the usual venues aren't readilyavailable. 
it's culture shock but if you have a good attitude you'll be fine

safe for women, just be conservative in dress and manner.  its a power struggle here, don't let them see you angry...pretend nothing matters...

Thank you so much this information has been really useful.

Also just wondering... Where do they fly you out to when you get there and do you have a choice of area where you want to work in? Sorry for all the questions.

Ashy16 :

Thank you so much this information has been really useful.

Also just wondering... Where do they fly you out to when you get there and do you have a choice of area where you want to work in? Sorry for all the questions.

Your work location will be mentioned in your offer letter. You can speak with your HR for more details.

Ashy16 :

Hello, I will be moving out to work in the UAE as a teacher too and I was wondering whether it is sociable? I am moving out alone and really excited about the job just  worried about making friends and having things to do on the weekend. Is there any opportunities to mix with other people?

There are lots of social clubs in this country and it's easy to make friends here. The best one is

internations.org

jchang, thanks so much for sharing your experience so far. It was very helpful.

My visa has finally processed and I should be set to arrive sometime in January.

Ironically, for being the thread starter I recently gave up just as the visa was arriving and took a different (and, from what I read) less stressful job.  :whistle:

Update:

I have experience working in both boys and girls school. The boys school are much more chaotic and unorganized. I believe I have strong classroom management, but I still struggled to get the students settled. It was very frustrating.

Managing a girls classroom is easier, but that's not to say it's always easy. You will still have to lay the hammer down once in a while.

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your time while out in the UAE! Maybe our paths will cross one day

jchang82 :

The boys school are much more chaotic and unorganized. I believe I have strong classroom management, but I still struggled to get the students settled. It was very frustrating.

This was my exact fear and the very reason I decided to ultimately not go. Naughty students are one thing. Poor staff infrastructure and support are quite another and put both together.....yeah...

Hope everyone out there will enjoy their time and stack that paper!

You can live very comfortably in such salary

Hi Jchang

Thank you for your feedback on your first few weeks starting out! By any chance were you provided with a computer/laptop to work from?

Did you manage to purchase a mobile phone SIM for UAE at the airport ?

Cheers

Yes, they provide you with a ThinkPad (IBM) and I got a SIM card at the airport.

The SIM card was 100 dirhams, and you choose from 3 plans. I don't remember exactly what they are, but you can check them on the Etisalat website.

www.etisalat.ae

Much appreciated, thanks for your help and all the best

Hi miss wiggles,

Have you received your departure date?

Hi lulu

Not yet, I'm just awaiting Visa. I have been informed this will take 7 weeks +

What about yourself?

I've passed the pre employment security check, sent off my authenticated documents and received my final contract this week. I've been told I just need to wait for my entry permit now.

Have you signed your final contract yet? I'm really hoping it won't take seven weeks! My agency haven't given me any time scale. The school term ends on the 15th of December so after induction we'd only have a week of teaching if we're not going for another seven weeks 😱

I hope it takes less time, I've heard its taking 7+ weeks from my side here in the UK. If it's delayed beyond 7 weeks may be it will mean  leaving in January for the next term, I don't want this to be the case but what can we do?. Let me know how you get on with yours! All the best x

& I got my final contract this week too, nor yet signed it. Still reading it thru! My agency didn't suggest 7 weeks a few teachers who are flying over now said this is the expected wait time. I don't have the cash to be honest to delay any longer!

Fingers crossed that we're not waiting until January! I really thought we'd be there by now! I wish there was a bit more certainty so we could make arrangements while we wait. I'd take on substitute work in the time being if I knew how long I'd be waiting, especially with Christmas coming up.

Let me know how you get on!

Lulu,

My advice to you, at this rate, is 1) call the MOE contact (I can PM if you don't have their info by now) and confirm your information. They apparently never received mine in August despite having sent it in July but after I resent the machine started moving again....very slowly.

2) carry on as if this isn't happening and if something just as good/comparable comes along, say no to UAE. I finally got my clearance and was ready to go when a decent international school decided to give me an offer elsewhere and now I shall not be seeing the shores of Dubai nor dunes of Abu Dhabi.

Moving to the United Arab Emirates

Find tips from professionals about moving to the United Arab Emirates

Travel insurance in the United Arab Emirates

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the United Arab Emirates

Flights to the United Arab Emirates

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the United Arab Emirates