Close

Where can i use my experience and abilities ?

Hi

I don't know if this is the right forum to tell my story, or if someone can help me, but I am going to give it a try anyway.

My name is Dirk and I am a 56 year old South African male. I have lost my job due to staff reduction and need another job for the next 10 years. Obtaining a job in my own country is difficult, next to impossible, especially if you take my skin color into account, because white males just don't get jobs, unless you are in the know. Then there is still my age that makes it even more difficult.

My country is going down the drain and I would like to move to what I have been told, "the land of opportunities". I have a dream that I would like to come true and that is moving to the USA and to find a job there.

I am computer literate, in that I am able to fully unilize MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), find information on the internet, etc. I can also provide training from years of experience on these programs, (I do not have a training qualification.)

I have been in the communications business for 37.5 years, of which nearly the last 14 years, I managed a team of guys (Contract Representatives, or CR's), managing private service provider (SP) teams, who repaired defects in the fixed line communications network. My duties included, but was not limited to the following:

1) Staff management - dealing with all staff related matters, including contracting with staff, production feedback and assessments (please see "Special Project" below on what I have done w,r,t, having  the production statistics corrected), disciplinary actions, etc.;
2) Material control - managing all material in possession of service provider teams;
3) Quality control of projects executed by SP teams;
4) Auditing and approving SP claims - ensuring that what is claimed has been executed, reconciliation of material used on projects.

Special Project (Verifying production statistics)
I was solely responsible to prove to the people who provided the production statistics, that the information they loaded and that had to be used for feedback and assessments, were incorrect. In order for me to achieve this, I used raw data from the computer program used - the same they used - and recalculated the data, using Microsoft Excel and the formulas available. I did this for all the CR's countrywide. After doing so, the corrections were made to the statistics. I compared these corrected statistics and found that the differences were less than 0.05%, which is nothing, compared to what it was before.

If there is anyone out there who can help me to find a job where I can use my experience and abilities as indicated above, I will be very grateful.

Thanks

Hi Biaren,

Welcome on board  :)

i have created a new thread from your post on the USA forum so that you may get some information.

Since you posted on the USA forum maybe you could tell us why you chose this destination ?

Till members share their experience with you, you may read the threads under the Working in the USA section of the forum and  the related articles in the Living in the USA guide

- Work in the USA

- Visas for in the USA

Also, do not hesitate to drop your own "looking for" advert along with your cv in the Jobs in the USA section of the website.

All the best,
Bhavna

I suggest that you post a formal resume on the major job sites: careers.com/ indeed.com/ glassdoor.com/ monster.com, etc.

Here is a link that lists the top 10 job hunting sites.   https://www.livecareer.com/quintessential/top-10-sites

Thanks. Much appreciated.

You're welcome:)

Biaren :

Thanks. Much appreciated.

I can send you two pages with different job sites organised very particularly, can connect you with professional resume writer, and will suggest you do direct applications to companies which are in an industry you are familiar with. Glassdoor.com will help you to find orientation with wages and also offers for jobs. I see that you are looking for someone here into this community to be involved in same industry like you are, but better use all advises and start sending resumes: days and nights. )))) :lol: don't take it personal...

Many high tech companies located in Northern California,  (silicon vlly).
Particularly Santa Clara county, San Mateo, San Francisco,  Marin,  and Alameda counties.
A good friend is a recruiter, head hunter, in high tech industry and unless economy is extremely bad it's always a matter of not enough qualified personnel to fill active recs.
Fyi,  high salaries, quality of life,  and cost of living.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the feedback. Aiming for Silicon Valley, might be a little bit high. I was more thinking of a largish company, that can use my pc skills, w.r.t. data basis' on Excel.

Don't be intimidated by *silicon valley* as it's merely a name given to San Jose, Santa Clara, Cupertino,  Campbell,  Mountain View, Palo alto, and perhaps a couple other cities nearby in the 1960s due to the beginning integrated circuit industry that were of course made from non conductive silicon.
In fact nobody can say where the valley *boundaries* are but safe to assume it relates to San Jose more than any other as it is by far the largest city in Northern California and third in the State behind Los Angeles and San Diego in population.
Safe to say Santa Clara county IS silicon valley and an argument against would be meaningless anyhow.
History lesson aside,  the concentration of high wage businesses in and around the San Francisco Bay Area, many tech based, make the area the logical place to begin or continue a career related as this aeea is perhaps the single reason California has been noted to be the 8th largest economy in the world, AS A STATE.
Our Southern California cousins, distant, may have differing opinions of what drives the States economy but unless I missed something it remains number 8 as a STATE behind a few countries like US, China, Japan, GB, Germany, Russia, and India? ??
I may have one or two wrong but the point is if you have experience in tech field in this area and don't have a relatively high paying job then you don't want to work or already cashed out stock options and retired.
Best of luck all.

Thanks for the comeback. From what I have heard, I understood that sillycon valley is a region and not limited to a single town or city. I just figured that, and I think Microsoft is based there, that you might refer to the jobs as programming and so on. I am basically quite skilled in working on Excel. My biggest issue is, that I first have to obtain a visa and passport, to come to the USA and in order to obtain the visa, I would prefer having a job to come to. Someone previously sent me a list of companies and amongst them there apparently are companies who assist with finding jobs for people from abroad and assisting them with passports and visas. I sincerely hope one of them will be willing to assist me.

Regards

Utilizing one of those may indeed be an easier way to have a job in advance and clearly make visa more attainable.
Oddly, Microsoft is in state of Washington as Bill opted to put headquarters far from tech central.
Common knowledge that he did not see things the way Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak did.
Was said they didn't like each other but I don't recall the reasons given for Gates to move his headquarters to Seattle, Wa.
Good luck, sir and let me know how your intentions work out
Feel free to private message me if you have any questions I may be able to help with.
Cheers!

I sincerely appreciate your reply and your offer to assist. I might just take you up on it.
Thanks

White people don't get jobs? Sounds like something a Trump supporter would say. And if you are one then you should know that America has already gone down the tubes. According to Trump it is NO LONGER great. Guess you missed out....

post your resume on indeed, zip recruiter, monster, career builders and google open positions for your job description.  a good move would be to talk to the US embassy.  there are alot of african americans from south africa in south florida.  there are 5.8 million job openings of all kinds in the US

riodon :

Utilizing one of those may indeed be an easier way to have a job in advance and clearly make visa more attainable.
Oddly, Microsoft is in state of Washington as Bill opted to put headquarters far from tech central.
Common knowledge that he did not see things the way Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak did.
Was said they didn't like each other but I don't recall the reasons given for Gates to move his headquarters to Seattle, Wa.
Good luck, sir and let me know how your intentions work out
Feel free to private message me if you have any questions I may be able to help with.
Cheers!

he never moved it, it has always been in Redmond

Thanks

Expatriate health insurance in the USA

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the USA

Moving to the USA

Find tips from professionals about moving to the USA

Travel insurance in the USA

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the USA

Flights to the USA

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the USA