Online toiletry and household products

Hi

We're finding the price of toiletries at the supermarket a bit steep - does anyone have tips for discount places? Online would be even better!

We also need some household stuff - kitchen utensils, bedding, towels etc. If you were ordering online where would you buy from?

Has anyone used the Malta Warehouse website?

Thanks

We hope you are both enjoying Malta.
I know it's not near Balzan but if you are going to work in Sliema, when you get chance take a look at the supermarket in the basement of Tigne Point center, we used it a lot for food and household requisites. Lots of other shops there too.
Perhaps see you soon.

Ray and Hazel

Hi Ray & Hazel. We haven't ventured to Sliema yet because the bus timetable says over an hour - and that's not taking into account the roadworks.

We'll be trying wherever possible to stick to Balzan, Attard, B'kara, Mosta and Naxxar plus online shopping :)

Not too long until you make it over- you are definitely benefitting from missing July's heat anyway ☺

Hi there,

We buy household stuff mostly from LIDL, there's a new one in Mosta.
Haven't tried ordering online yet, but the radio plays the ad for sparkleimage.com.mt all the time: "Same unbeatable prices and quick delivery to your doorstep"...

We needed a new pot last week; bought it from Tallira for 8 euros. For towels and stuff we usually go to the tourist shops, or Tallira.

Bernie

I second Bernie's suggestions! Lidl is great for cheap but good quality toiletries, also unbeatable when it comes to cleaning products of any sort. Tallira has cheap and cheerful household goods - the superstore in Iklin has everything you need. I even bought my duvet there and I'm still happy. Otherwise JB Stores (just next door) is great, too, especially for towels and bedding. I haven't tried online delivery apart from Amazon or AliExpress and that was OK but took a while. When my mum sends me a letter it can take up to 3 weeks to arrive...

Thanks! Will check these places out :)

If you need lots it might be worth buying from the UK and using the postoffice or shiplowcost to bring here.

Otherwise, I just consider time as money and buy locally from Atrium or Pama and use the time saved elsewhere - you should check out Pama in Mosta anyway.

IJS Home in Naxxar has cheap houshold stuff ... but even cheaper are the local "markets" in every village.
There are also several "Bargain Stores" in Malta selling lots of no-name stuff, check Voucher/Hotspot magazine or Facebook.

However, quality is the flipside of cheap prices ...

Thanks - will check these out and try to get the balance between price and quality ☺

especially no-name toiletries and are sold very cheap at the local village markets.
and there are specialized shops selling only detergents/cleaning agents at low prices

We buy most hygiene articles, detergents, sun creme etc. at Sparkle Image. I do not find the prices exaggerated, and at the end good quality brands prevent allergic reactions  :D

Thanks- sun cream is one of the things I was looking for :)

Sparkle Image is definetely a good choice for shampoos/shower gels other personal hygiene items, and also detergents, kitchen supplies (paper towels, cling film) - some of the best prices we've come accross on the Island (haven't tried the online part).
JB store in Iklin is the biggest one and has loads of household goods (we've bought curtains, blankets, glasses & also some bathroom items.) Tallira is just next door, but I am not impressed with the quality there.

felinefine81 wrote:

I buy sun cream from Lidl and have found it works fine, not been burnt in four Summer's yet.

Hi!

I've lived for about two years in Malta (the happiest days in my whole life!). I've been very happy with prices and delivery (less fresh fruit and vegetables) from:

http://www.maltasupermarket.com/

You might want to try them out. As far as I recall this is Carrefour - but only online.

Good luck!
Corina

Thanks Corina!

We have been trying out online grocery shopping. So far Smart was utter rubbish (not confirming order, TERRIBLE customer service,  missing items that they charged us for and out of date stuff sent. We picked Pavi to try next - delivery due tomorrow. They have provided a much better service so far: confirming order and delivery slot quickly, phoning to discuss out of stock items... So we will see if the delivery turns up ok tomorrow!

Anyway, we found the prices of toiletries a bit better at Pavi, plus better selection of goods overall so fingers crossed.

If not, we will give maltasupermarket a shot as we'd already looked at the website.

My only complaint: only one gin on the online menu and it's Bombay Sapphire which I don't like much and it's far too expensive 😄 Priorities!!

GozoMo wrote:
felinefine81 wrote:

I buy sun cream from Lidl and have found it works fine, not been burnt in four Summer's yet.

The Lidl sun cream gets some excellent reviews and write ups and is often better than more expensive brands. I have many friends who use it

felinefine81 wrote:

Thanks Corina!

We have been trying out online grocery shopping. So far Smart was utter rubbish (not confirming order, TERRIBLE customer service,  missing items that they charged us for and out of date stuff sent. We picked Pavi to try next - delivery due tomorrow. They have provided a much better service so far: confirming order and delivery slot quickly, phoning to discuss out of stock items... So we will see if the delivery turns up ok tomorrow!

Anyway, we found the prices of toiletries a bit better at Pavi, plus better selection of goods overall so fingers crossed.

If not, we will give maltasupermarket a shot as we'd already looked at the website.

My only complaint: only one gin on the online menu and it's Bombay Sapphire which I don't like much and it's far too expensive 😄 Priorities!!

I have never had a problem with smart, always phone to discuss alternatives to missing items etc. However I have sacked them off for Malta supermarket as they have a great deli and meat selection.

We still use Smart for our monthly beer and wine delivery though as they are cheaper and have a better selection.

I think a lot of people find its better to buy certain things from different suppliers though

SoakandSleep.com
Debenhams.com
neatideasdirect.co.uk
Altwoodpharmacy.co.uk
You will need an express trailers forward2me / maltapost send-on service via hub for delivery of above.

FeelUnique.com    &    AllBeauty.com    both direct to Malta.

Next.com.mt    Free del to Malta with >Eur35 spend,  Eur4 del if <Eur35 spend.
The Next shops (like many other branded outlets) in Malta apart from the price extortion will have last years/has-beens/cannot give away in a uk sale stuff.

HouseofFraser.com    Courier min. Eur6   ( Eur6 delivery will get you eg. 2 winter coats or 4 summer dresses or a hat in box or enough underwear to fill a whole drawer ! )

Sportsdirect.com    Courier min. Eur13   ( weight/size dependant, approx Eur20 delivery on every Eur100 spend if your ordering mainly clothes that is, obviously a fitness machine is a different story !)

Espirit.com    Courier min Eur4.95    ( i've not ordered more than about 4 tops so don't know the limitation of the Eur4.95 del fee ).

Hope that helps in someway.