Hi everyone, my name is John, there's a good possibility that I'll be moving to Jordan later this year (just me, no family). Due to this, I'd like to get a head start on getting some advice /information from those already based in Jordan.
1. When it comes to housing, how expensive is a one bedroom apartment? (my maximum budget for this is $1000 per month, but I'd rather it be way lower, like $500-600 per month)
2. How much does utility expenses cost? (electricity, water, Internet)
3. What neighborhood /area should I try looking for an apartment in? My office in Jordan is near Taj Mall so I would prefer a neighborhood that's not too far but not too near that area as well.
4. Will the landlord require a 1 year payment on rent? (as in other middle east countries?)
1. What's the cheapest /best way to acquire one? Note that I will work at one of the embassies based in Jordan and so I am exempt from taxes on cars.
2. Is it wise to import a car from Dubai instead?
3. What are the general things I have to look out for when buying a car? (i.e. How to not get ripped off)
1. How "western" or liberal is the society in Jordan? Can a woman travel on her own for example?
2. Do locals have a good command of the English language?
3. Is Amman, generally safe? What about the rest of the country? How do the police treat foreigners?
4. Is there much in the way of nightlife in Amman?
5. Is there some sort of taboo for Jordanian women getting involved with foreigners?
Apologies for the amount of questions. I have a lot more actually but I'm hoping to start with the above for now. Thanks for answering!