Pros and Cons of Being an Expat in Santiago

I am currently considering a teaching job in Santiago with housing and airfare provided.  I am very analytical, so I tend to research and evaluate information before making a fact-based decision.

Could those of you that have moved from the US to the DR please provide your thoughts on the positives and negatives of your experience?  If you have taught at an International School, that experience would also be very helpful.

I am a Texas certified math teacher with 6 years of classroom experience.  I do not have a significant other at this time, and my children are grown and quite supportive of my adventurous spirit.

I recently spent 10 days in the DR (as a tourist, but with the consideration that I would consider moving there for the right opportunity) and climbed Pico Duarte.  I am also a long distance triathlete and I've been told that there is a good community of cyclists and runners there.

Thanks for any thoughts.  If I accept the job, I will have about 2 1/2 weeks to make this all happen.  It's a tight timeframe, but I think I can make it happen.

First welcome to the forums.  There is so much that could be covered here.  I suggest you spend a bit of time and read the threads! You will find so much of it there already.

I will try to come up with a list for you.

Welcome and do read the multiple threads.  There is a wealth of information to be gleaned from them.

Bob K

I am in no way qualified to answer any of your questions.  Not a resident of DR, never taught at an international school.  Not even good at math.

Reading your post made me want to say, "Go for it!!!"  If I were you (and believe me I wish I were).  I'd be donating everything in my household in the states and packing 2 bags right now.

Good luck whatever you decide.