Spending 6 months/year in Brazil on tourist stamps 'indefinitely'

Hi guys.

Firstly I am talking about the 90 day stamp you get at the airport on arrival (with UK passport), not a visa you have to apply for in advance before you arrive.

I have been getting these 90 day tourist stamps on arrival for the last 3 years. The first year I stayed 6 months split into two 3 month periods, the second year the same, and the third year I got the initial 90 days and then extended to 180 while still in the country. The immigration official seemed to take a little extra time looking at my passport when I was leaving the country the last time, but did not ask any questions. I have never overstayed obviously.

My question is, can I continue to do this indefinitely? i.e. spending 6 months every year in brazil on these tourist stamps. I work online so can work from anywhere, not working illegally in Brazil. I am worried that next time I try to get in they may ask more questions and possibly reject me if I arrive at the airport and they either don't believe my story, or simply decide they don't want people 'abusing' tourist stamps.

Maybe I am just being paranoid, but has anyone else done this before, and just continued to do 6 months a year in Brazil on tourist stamps for years on end without any problems?

Good question! Wish I knew... I got my permanent resident pretty fast. Hopefully someone else will know.

Wish I had a job working on-line! That would be awesome having the freedom to maneuver!

Hi mate,

As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with this. I've done it a couple of times but now have residency. What will you say if they ask you what you are doing here?  I echo Craig's comments on working online.. How does it work?

I have  noticed that some officers look at your paperwork longer than others. I wouldn't worry about it.

AfroPrince wrote:

Hi mate,

As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with this. I've done it a couple of times but now have residency. What will you say if they ask you what you are doing here?  I echo Craig's comments on working online.. How does it work?

I'm not going to go into detail about what I do, but I will say that there are many ways to make money online. For example you can freelance as a web developer, programmer, copywriter, translator, transcriber, researcher or virtual assistant.

Or you can make your own websites or youtube channels and monetise them. Sports betting, online poker or daytrading are also options if you have the aptitude for it. Google and you'll probably find countless other ways to make money online.