Making new friends

Hello, I was just wondering how easy it is to make a new circle of friends in Malta. We may be coming out next year as my husband has a potential new job out there. I love the idea of living in Malta but I have to admit that I am a bit phased about leaving family and friends behind and knowing nobody, especially seeing as my other half is obsessed with scuba diving and I can see l'd be spending a fair few weekends alone while he's under water (I do scuba dive but I'm strictly fair weather!).  I know I can join meet-ups and groups etc, but are people generally welcoming ? Btw, we are both big kids who can't quite work out how we got to be 40-something so soon!! 😉

Hi Mellieh,

Some members have provided their insights on this thread : Expand your social circle in Malta.

Hope it helps,

Thank you, I'll have a look 😊

Honestly. You just have to put yourself out there.

Some may find it a bit daunting, but the Maltese on the whole are a welcoming bunch and with a large expat population who have nearly all been a similar situation to what you will find yourself in it can be easy to make friends and acquaintances.

You will find your circle naturally develops through friends of friends.

My wife and I are in our 40's and love it here

Hi we are a Maltese/Norwegian couple in our late 30's but 40 to be exact ;) we both like socializing and meeting new people therefore we have created our group on Facebook to allow anyone alike given the opportunity to share common interests and building new friendships with Locals too!!! more than anything we also like to encourage those who are new to Malta to feel home and most especially give support from the best of our abilities and knowledge, hope to see you as a member in our group :)

Questions and answers about Malta

Ask your question
Are you happy in Malta?
By Priscilla
Making new friends in Malta...
By deejay1988
7 month old and mom need playmates
By Carinahingstrom
By Malta7
Question about Micro-climates on Malta
By Ajdoane1

Expatriate health insurance in Malta