Would you recommend Manchester for an 18-year-old to live in?

Hi guys! I'm Riley from Hong Kong and I'll be moving to UK in just 3 months I still haven't chosen a city to live in but I think if I've decided one, everything will go smoothly as I already have British passport to work in UK. I'm 18 yrs old and I never get into college. I plan to work in a coffee shop or restaurant to make a living. I am looking for nice neigbourhood and most importantly, a place suitable for young people. I need wi-fi and TV like other young people and a place with ample fun facilities so it won't be a "dead" city. Convenient transportation is essential as I come from a small city where it takes no more than 15 minutes to get to everywhere. Affordable housing is also a crucial point as I plan to find a flatmate and hopefully the rent won't be too high for me. Is Manchester a place that meets these requirements?  Or are there other cities anyone can recommend ?

Manchester is a lively city with all that goes with it, including crime.
Public transport is easy, but not always cheap.

What languages you speak could well be an advantage, especially if you speak English reasonably well, Cantonese and Mandarin.
I mention that because the Chinese food shops and restaurants are always on the lookout for staff that speak all three as their staff is commonly mixed mainland and HK.

The Malaysians were very popular but the immigration clampdown limited the number available, leaving a lot of places with problems.

Assuming you have the right to work legally, there goes a good option as the cash is usually fine and a room is often part of the deal.
It'll get you started if nothing else.

Sign up for skype, add a little credit and get on the phone. There's a better than average chance you'll find work before you leave HK.

https://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchActio … =821528783https://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchActio … =859734197

Riley - There are many scammers online and at the other end of the phone (both regarding housing and jobs). They take advantage of the fact many want to work, and live in affordable accommodation. Actually people living here themselves sometimes fall for these scams. Be very careful and don't lose your money! Otherwise you may find when you arrive that the accommodation doesn't exist, and neither does the job! Don't rush, and take your time.

IamRiley wrote:

Hi guys! I'm Riley from Hong Kong and I'll be moving to UK in just 3 months I still haven't chosen a city to live in but I think if I've decided one, everything will go smoothly as I already have British passport to work in UK. I'm 18 yrs old and I never get into college. I plan to work in a coffee shop or restaurant to make a living. I am looking for nice neigbourhood and most importantly, a place suitable for young people. I need wi-fi and TV like other young people and a place with ample fun facilities so it won't be a "dead" city. Convenient transportation is essential as I come from a small city where it takes no more than 15 minutes to get to everywhere. Affordable housing is also a crucial point as I plan to find a flatmate and hopefully the rent won't be too high for me. Is Manchester a place that meets these requirements?  Or are there other cities anyone can recommend ?

Hi Riley,
You should have a look at Bristol; it is a lively city with lots of expats living there and so many things to do!