Question about importing to Viet Nam.

Hi,
Having read a little on government Web sites etc, I want to simply ask if anybody has any on the ground experience of importing a container into Vietnam from Europe.
Thanks in advance.
:)

No experience but I did the research into it. Very very expensive.....even before you get to customs duties. Can be quite complicated. My suggestion would be to nail down all the answers before you go any further. What I wanted to ship was innocent pedestrian stuff. Yet, turn out it was prohibited for import.

Large Vietnamese firms have difficulty importing goods/materials. There are many unspoken dues that need to be paid to the appropriate people.

Maybe you can share a few details about what you intend to import. Is it a container of personal goods? Or a container of goods for resale? New/used goods? I think it may help you get better replies.

Shipping rates are lower coming to Vietnam. And in general shipping rates are very low at this time.

I researched importing several containers per month of agriculture goods. The end result, no definitive answer from the authorities. Therefore we quoted the price delivered to the customers port of choice and from there the customer was to deal with the relevant authorities. After all of that, the customer did not like the idea and did not choose us.

A local acquaintance who does importing/exporting with a large highly recognized Vietnamese agriculture company has difficulty with the processes. Fees and the value of goods in the container are often the causes for difficulties. They also have to pay fees to move container trucks on the roads thru Vietnam.

It is definitely doable with patience and a trustworthy local partner.

Actually, it is not very complicated. It depends on what you want to import and the purpose. You can authorise a Logistics company to import the goods.

Tiennguyen2582 wrote:

Actually, it is not very complicated. It depends on what you want to import and the purpose. You can authorise a Logistics company to import the goods.

nothing is complicated, so long as you have money.

Doing the right things from beginning will be more effective and efficient.

No containers move out of the port without the customs mafia getting a slice of the action. It all comes down to what you want to import, which you haven't posted up till now.

Tiennguyen2582 wrote:

Doing the right things from beginning will be more effective and efficient.

Going in the wrong direction. Can also be more efficient.

Going the wrong direction will increase troubles in the future.

Tiennguyen2582 wrote:

Going the wrong direction will increase troubles in the future.

Yes back to square one. Troubles is alleviated with money.

Okay Gang, lets play nice......... :)    I think most of us on the forum are seeking advice on how to import personal HouseHold Goods  (HHG), (at least I am)others seek information on importing hard good for wheather for resale, production business, or farming.  The rules are confusing, and appears (from all accounts) it depends on the Customs Official at the port the container comes into Vietnam........anyone have a clue on 'used' HHG.......I was sent a couple of Govt links, hve to muddle thru them to find any answers.   Thanx

tunnelrat, your example is proof already that importing things is far from simplicity and 'not complicated'. importing just a few items is difficult let alone a container worth of things. the rules aren't just confusing but they're all arbitrary depending on who you come across. answer's for anything is clear as mud  :joking:

I send you message