Close

Driving in Philippines? - Get an HD Dash Cam.

Even if you are unfamiliar with modern technology - investing in a decent windscreen Camera for your vehicle is (IMHO) an absolute MUST HAVE nowadays.

A good HD "DashCam" costs as little as $100 and can be set on a recording 'loop' to capture everything from a simple view of the road ahead, to recording GPS coordinates, speed and emergency collision recording. Mine has built-in WiFi so you can playback on a larger screen (iPad etc) anytime, anywhere - like at the roadside or police station!!!

Please, please - Everyone do themselves a HUGE favour and stick one in your vehicle NOW.

They provide an element of peace of mind, as well as extremely valuable evidence in the event of and accident.

Like making a Will - Don't put it off! - It will be one of the best investments you have ever made.

Expat IFA :

A good HD "DashCam" costs as little as $100 and can be set on a recording 'loop' to capture everything from a simple view of the road ahead, to recording GPS coordinates, speed and emergency collision recording. Mine has built-in WiFi so you can playback on a larger screen (iPad etc) anytime, anywhere - like at the roadside or police station!!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Good idea,

We will be looking for one next trip around the electronics store and the largest capacity SD memory card the unit will handle.

Jim

TeeJay4103 :
Expat IFA :

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Good idea,

We will be looking for one next trip around the electronics store and the largest capacity SD memory card the unit will handle.

Jim

Good. Very wise. Don't fret too much about MEMORY - as most DashCams 'overwrite' once the memory is full - and in the event of an accident, you are only really going to require the last few minutes....(If that makes any sense?) :dumbom:

Expat IFA :

Good. Very wise. Don't fret too much about MEMORY - as most DashCams 'overwrite' once the memory is full - and in the event of an accident, you are only really going to require the last few minutes....(If that makes any sense?) :dumbom:

LOL, we tend not to do much fretting in our lives but thanks anyway and yes we understand that the loop setting on most cams will allow for continuous recording by simply beginning to overwrite the oldest files on the memory card as needed for new recordings.
Also not all dash cams have the loop recording option and if you happen to use the cam for road trips to record the scenery, the capacity of the card may come into play. A 32GB SD card will give you about 4 1/2 hours of recording time at 1080P resolution. So if your unit comes with a 16GB card you can cut that in half.
Higher resolution units also provide better and clearer recordings and we will be looking for a 1080P setting for better quality and as you stated a loop option, in our case single loop will suffice. Dual loop allows for recording front and rear though the cost also goes up substantially.
While we tend to not drive at night unless absolutely necessary, the chances for an accident to occur because of unlit vehicles or pedestrians and other obstacles in the road seems to increase while traffic in most cases decreases. We will also be looking for a unit that has acceptable night recording capability.
Most 2016 units seem to be equipped with GPS, showing both latitude and longitude on the screen as well as time and date. Some also have a park mode that is not recoding while the car is parked but using either an internal vibration sensor or motion detector that will allow the camera to begin recording in case someone has damaged or hit your vehicle while parked, though it would seem a dual loop camera would be more effective when using this mode.
We have in the past used our Canon camera in movie mode for recording our driving in congested areas or simply to record a scenic trip,but holding the camera or simply trying to stick it to the dash with Velcro did not work that well.
We have also considered a Go Pro but the cost vs the actual time we would use it was not justified for us.
A decent single loop cam, with gps, 1080P resolution and decent night recording seems to run from around 100 to 200 U.S. dollars and because memory cards do fail. We will have a spare on hand.

Thanks,

Jim

My, my. Someones' done their research haven't they!  :one

Yes of course if you are a budding James Cameron you will require expansive memory to document your exploits [chuckle chuckle] :heart:

GPS meta data footprint... I can hear the arguments now "Honest darling - it must be faulty - I wasn't in that Girlie Bar - I really was doing the grocery shopping....."

Warped? What? Me? :lol:

Expatriate health insurance in the Philippines

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the Philippines

Moving to the Philippines

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Philippines

Travel insurance in the Philippines

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the Philippines

Flights to the Philippines

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the Philippines