Close

Military coup July 2016

The shooting appears to be over, but that doesn't seem to be the end of political problems in the country, nor will it signal safety/stability for expats.

The government seems to be having a purge of some groups, perhaps leading to more upset and possible violence.

Whilst there doesn't seem to be any direct threat to expats in Turkey, perhaps posters in that country could explain the mood over there and if there is any animosity to expats in general or any given group(s) of expats.
This isn't intended to be a thread about the rights and wrongs of the situation, just there to give information useful for the safety of expats in that country.

Regardless of the political outcome of the coup, daily life for people is back on track.

There is no animosity / also no apparent need for any animosity towards expats in the country in the wake of coup. It was a matter that strictly involved military and the internal government.

Routine life is back to normal.

Though it is certainly advisable to stay out of certain hot-spots.

Z

I'd heard mention of the Turkish government portioning some blame to the US, so I wondered if Americans, or anyone who looked as if they could be American, was going to experience any difficulties.

Never worry about this Turks know that citizens and rulers are seperate entities.they are very welcoming.

siwmman :

Never worry about this Turks know that citizens and rulers are seperate entities.they are very welcoming.

That's the case in most countries, and I'm very happy to say it.

Nope. American citizens have always been safe as much as other expats. That won't change no matter what happens between two governments.

Look what happened in france, brussels,UK and US
Even train crash in italy
Safest place is still istanbul.

Yes, it's not only in Turkey, everywhere people regard citizens and rulers as separate identity unless incited otherwise.

Its normal everywhere in the world.

Fred :
siwmman :

That's the case in most countries, and I'm very happy to say it.

Well.. Things are happening everywhere, but the last sentence really made me roll!

siwmman :

Look what happened in france, brussels,UK and US
Even train crash in italy
Safest place is still istanbul.

I'm an American Citizen, and everything is normal and safe, the Turkish people no matter what political wing they belong to have given the world a lesson how to stand up for their freedom, that's what I think

I lived in many place before did you go to manhatten and see gangs in day light and in milano shooting cafee in day light.
Did you ever ride a tram in milano and a drunk gets on threatening everyone in the eye if you dont give him a cigarette.
Yes istanbul is safe
I love your city
Wish you peace.

I know Turkey is an ancient country with a wealth of history and teaming with life and culture.
I don't think I'll get the chance now, but it's a place I'd love to have spent some time wandering around.
I hope all remains safe for all, and the situation calms down quickly.

We all hope so

Its safe here now about Coup. But /!\ I AM A STUPID SPAMMER /!\ is everywhere and make unexpected attacks...Be careful fellas.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36838347

More than 15,000 education staff in Turkey have been suspended after last week's failed coup, as a purge of state officials widens still further.
The ministry of education accused them of links to Fethullah Gulen, a US-based cleric the Turkish government says was behind Friday's uprising.
Mr Gulen denies any involvement.
More than 1,500 university deans have also been ordered to resign and the licences of 21,000 teachers working at private institutions revoked.

Are any expat teachers caught up in this, or is it likely to bring problems for them?  The government seems to be blaming a US based cleric, so is there any chance they will target American expats in Turkey?

Impossible turkey applies the force of law carefully they know what they are doing as long as your are far from political issues you are safe

Moving to Turkey

Find tips from professionals about moving to Turkey

International Wealth Management

Get advice from well-reputed and experienced international wealth managers regarding your financial affairs

Travel insurance in Turkey

Enjoy stress-free travel to Turkey