About Columbia? How much money need for 1 year stay?

Hi, everyone.  My name is Jaaman(pronounced Yaaman). I really would like to get to know more about Colombian  money, and the Colombian language...I was surprised to read the few words I had taken for granted in Regular Espanol are different from the Colombian way of talking.  How much money do I need to live for a Year in Colombia, if I want to live by modest means? :D

jaaman wrote:

Hi, everyone.  My name is Jaaman(pronounced Yaaman). I really would like to get to know more about Colombian  money, and the Colombian language...I was surprised to read the few words I had taken for granted in Regular Espanol are different from the Colombian way of talking.  How much money do I need to live for a Year in Colombia, if I want to live by modest means? :D

Hello, Jaaman.

1.  Colombian money.  The current exchange rate is about 3,000 Colombian pesos to the U.S. dollar.  The slang name for Colombian money is lucas.  One luca is 1,000 pesos.

2.  For Expats, the most commonly-learned difference in the spoken language of español in Colombia is the way the double-L is pronounced.
In Ecuador, for instance, Medellín is pronounced med-uh-YEEN.
In Colombia, it is typically pronounced. med-uh-JEEN.

3.  Cost of living... Pick a city and look up the COL at www.numbeo.com

-- cccmedia, from Medellín

I'd say you'd need at least $20,000 for one year.  If you want to live like middle class USA you could spend $40,000.  Many Colombians live on $10,000 or less, but most Americans wouldn't be comfortable living like they do.  I lived in Colombia for 6 months and I burned through more than $10,000 - maybe $20,000.  Somebody wrote once "Take whatever you think it will cost you and then double it."  I can't argue with that.  Finally, there's no U in Colombia.