Cebu - What's all the fuss about?

I am hoping some members here may be able to clarify this for me....

As an expat (married/family) I have lived in the Philippines for 3 years, and previously in Thailand for 10 years. Last year we moved back to Clark/Angeles from Dumaguete because although 'nice' there was nothing much going on - maybe OK for a lazy retired life not doing much, but not particularly 'ideal' for a 40's something active husband/father. The schools/hospitals were also quite poor (to be expected). OK there is a 'good' [question mark] university - but my son is [now] only 2 years old. The coastal road is also a death trap, with weekly head-on collisions and deaths (not a great future for my son or concerned parent).

I have visited Cebu several times over the last 10 years and have a few 'biker' friends based there. I have never been able to find a 'GREAT' beach - but I have been able to find traffic chaos (especially the bridges between Mactan/Lapu-Lapu and Cebu City). Why would anyone live with such traffic? Where are any parks? Are all the good beaches hidden/private?

I fully appreciate that many expats LOVE Cebu - but I am wondering why? Sure as the 'original' capital of the Philippines it has everything available, but is that the reason? I like my creature comforts - but to be honest - Angeles City/Clark seems 'idilic' by comparison?

What am I missing here? I know that nowhere is perfect. Perhaps I've simply not seen any nice expat subdivisions and/or barangay's that offer a mix between family, social and relaxation lifestyle? I have driven the circumference of Cebu as well as Negros. Maybe keeping my eyes on the road I've driven right past paradise? :)

PS. I am no snob - but if Cebu commands international property prices - it has to have something to justify the values surely? (If only I could kick-out all the Thai's and repopulate Pattaya with Filipinos!!!)

Questions and answers about the Philippines

Ask your question
US Tax Assistance Based in the Philippines
By neiman_88
Visa question for Australian
By OzFreddie
Aussie Dave
Visa to Australia.
By Aussie Dave

Expatriate health insurance in the Philippines

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the Philippines

Moving to the Philippines

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Philippines

Travel insurance in the Philippines

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the Philippines

Flights to the Philippines

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the Philippines