Expat in Brazil from a culture that is almost the perfect opposite

Hi everyone!

My name is Dona Gretchen and I am new to the site.
I am an Estonian and it has been a bit more than two and a half years that I have been living in São Paulo now. The adaption process has probably been one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life. Brazilian culture is almost the perfect opposite of Estonian, especially in the workplace. However, now I am already starting to see the fruits and really enjoy what Brazil has to offer.

Talking with other expats, I have understood that most of us go through very similar difficulties. This is why I am writing a blog called Living It Brazilian sharing some stories and insights about adapting in Brazil. I get lots of comments from people with their similar stories as well, so the blog has proved to be a great medium for sharing experience and support :)

I am also on Facebook and Instagram.

Please feel free to check it out and let me know what you think!

Kind regards,

Dona Gretchen

Hi Dona,

Welcome on board  :)

Feel free to add your blog on the website so that members can get easy access.

Here is the link :

All the very best,

Here is mine! I just started it a few weeks ago. The struggle is real folks! 😂

Hey Dona
I have actually stumbled upon your blog before, I thought it was pretty good...

Now lets see what Craig is up too....

I am french...and people though latin culture would help. It did for the first few months when I was still in a relaxing, holidays like period. But when I got back to work (creating my business actually), then it got extremelly stressfull. It is only now after 4 years in Brazil, that I can started to relax again...Well, more exactly I know mitigate problems and get ready to anything.
I always wondering how japanese immigrants felt in Brazil. It should have been quite a shock. Only similitude is the incapacity to say "no".

Questions and answers about Brazil

Ask your question
Yesterday's Progress
By Alascana
Exiting / Entering Brazil without CIE/RNE
By stm313
What sort of work do most expats do?
By Nawii81
Driving in Brazil and/or obtaining a Brazilian Licence.
By zebedeespring

Expatriate health insurance in Brazil

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Brazil

Moving to Brazil

Find tips from professionals about moving to Brazil

Travel insurance in Brazil

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Brazil

Flights to Brazil

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Brazil