Your new local habits in Mexico

Hello everyone,

Living in Mexico is a great way to immerse in a new culture and lifestyle.

Have you embraced local customs since you've lived in Mexico? If so, which one(s)?

Did local customs change the way you see things, appreciate life or organize your daily routines? As far as the language is concerned, did you learn new expressions or words and do you use them?

What do you like most about the lifestyle in your host country? Are there any local specificities you are still struggling with?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

I can get a home cooked breakfast in a dozen restaurants from around 7AM to 1PM.

I've adapted to what Mexicans considers punctuality and plan to arrive a little late.  I also expect people to arrive a little late.  Though taxis and workmen tend to be punctual 90-95% of the time.

I've adjusted to living without central heat and air.

Even though I live in what might be called the suburbs, it's s convenient walk to the main square.

Siesta! I napped when I lived in the States, but now I feel I'm taking part in a proud cultural tradition. I read for a bit, with my dogs curled up beside me, and then drift away. Anyway, when it's 108 outside, siesta is the only sensible thing to do.

I've adapted to buying medicines in 7 or 10 day packages rather than 90 or bigger.  I have a shelf that looks like a drugstore.

I go to the US every 3 months and get 300-500 tablet bottles of vitamins and such that are much more expensive here.

I love, love, love the public transportation system here in Mexico....I can open my gate, hop on a taxi or combi and go anyplace in Mexico for a reasonable price.  Unless I am doing a big shopping in a super mercado, I always use public transportation.  I still am working with cultural differences in people not doing what they say they will do, not arriving on time etc......even though I know the system.........I have lived here for over 10 years.  I am thankful for seguro popular.......even though I know it will tak much of my tie to receive treatment etc.  The local Doctora is wonderful.  I invited her and her family for a meal to get to know her better. ....I still falta En espanol and would like to find a teacher or classes but live in a very rural area.   But, all in all, I love living here ....I find my capacities are stretched but I am growing. ....

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : off-topic

Hi Jean Ann, I arrived to Mexico half a year ago. best and free language course is Duolingo.com. I do 1 hour each day. Then I walk with a Spanish lady 40 minutes per week, and we exchange Spanish with English. As I am 68, I find, this works the best for me. Hanna

Hello Gudgrief:
Your comments are always so refreshing.   You are a seasoned Mexico expat!    I will be deciding if I want to be on the Pacific or the Caribbean in the next couple of years.    Just like someone who buys what we call at Tiny House, I, too, want to spend less on a home and more travelling and learning the culture of another.    With politics as they are now in the U.S.A., I hardly want to be here anymore.   Now that my daughter is in college I am contemplating 5-6 months in Mexico each year.   Again, thank you for your comments!

Thanks Hanna, i just saw your post and will look into the duolingo that you recommended.