Your new local habits in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

Living in Dominican Republic is a great way to immerse in a new culture and lifestyle.

Have you embraced local customs since you've lived in Dominican Republic? If so, which one(s)?

Did local customs change the way you see things, appreciate life or organize your daily routines? As far as the language is concerned, did you learn new expressions or words and do you use them?

What do you like most about the lifestyle in your host country? Are there any local specificities you are still struggling with?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Dominoes & Presidente.
I have a problem with languages.
4 years total immersion & I can't even
begin a conversion.
I get by because my Dominican
Esposa speaks English.

It's a culture of community and family.

Visitors just show up, or, invite themselves. They will say: oh you are going out, invite me! If you say: oh sure come along = you are paying!

Borrowing is common. Returning is not.

No one goes hungry, community takes care of almost everyone.

Kids are watched over by everyone.  Kid out of line? Say something. You are likely to be thanked by parents.

Dancing includes everyone: brother with sister, mother and son, niece and grandfather!!!

Celebrations are embraced by all!

Dominicans know how to have a good time!!!

All correct observations Planner!

That sounds fun!  Planner whenever I hear the song Cheap Thrills by Pia (don't let the title insult you! j) I think of you and all your 'gotta dance' quotes!  I need to join you!  If you don't know the song...look it up on YouTube! Haha...

Whoops the song was by Sia...no idea why I typed a P

Hey, Tomas Cabrera,  still hoping to meet you and Catalina some day.  We are those sad wannabe's who can only escape for 4-7 days at a time...and when we're finally there we're driving all around the North Coast trying to get something to repair either the pool or water lines, etc.  I hope at some point we have a at least 90% functioning house...then we might have an actual vacation.

Welcome to come dancing anytime!!!  That goes out to everyone!  I dont care if you can or cannot dance, wanna learn or wanna watch......  Come join us.

Planner says," Everyone's welcome to go dancing", (same as)," oh sure come along" = you are paying".......I guess we know who's buying the drinks....LoL!

Oh hell no........HAHAHAHAHA.

Party at Planners place!

Planner..... Are you working yet?
Brodies.....    we'll be here!

Of course I am working honey....LOL  you know me. And yes lets get a darned north coast party organized. I am on it my people.......  Watch for an announcement.... soon....

If at all possible, we'll be there!

Sunday family picnics. Great habit I have picked up here in the DR and hope to continue it as part of my lifestyle.