Your new local habits in Cyprus

Hello everyone,

Living in Cyprus is a great way to immerse in a new culture and lifestyle.

Have you embraced local customs since you've lived in Cyprus? If so, which one(s)?

Did local customs change the way you see things, appreciate life or organize your daily routines? As far as the language is concerned, did you learn new expressions or words and do you use them?

What do you like most about the lifestyle in your host country? Are there any local specificities you are still struggling with?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

To be honest no not many of them really  = although i am learning new words each day and i use them when i can.

Although we do tend to follow the locals and not venture out in the height of the summer during the daytime as its far too hot. And have a nap in a cool room mid afternoon.

I do like the laid back lifestyle and it only occasionally causes us problems.. but so far it hasnt been too bad

as for things i cannot cope with or find very difficult to accept there are very few  - however for us as animal lovers its the abuse of animals here, its blatant and in your face most days.

we both help out with local animal welfare charities and donate / assist where we can with the feral feeding programs and the Trap Neuter and Release (TNR) programmes too. we find it very satisfying

We just really struggle to deal with the local attitudes towards animals. It seems like they adopt the attitude of "if theyre of no use to them they can be disposed of with no repurcussions from the authorities"  Enforcement of existing laws and penalties doesnt really happen.
Licences, microchipping and maintaining standards of care and welfare of animals is dire to say the least.. and the owners know it, as its usually the old story of the " friends network"  Police government vets and the local authorities just dont care enough to even think about let alone bother about planning and promoting a programme of welfare measures

It is indeed a sad and depressing feature of life here  - its something of an ugly side to the Cyprus that many visitors love --- but just do not see.