Retiree direct deposit

Is anyone out there retired and receiving Social Security from the United States via "direct deposit". The Social Security website says that "direct deposit" is not available in Thailand yet.

I wonder if anyone out there is using a global bank, like HSBC? Or perhaps there is another way to do it here in Thailand....

If you have an account with Bangkok Bank you can try providing Social Security with address and ABA number for the Bangkok Bank New York branch with directions to deposit in your account(include account number).  New York branch will automatically forward to your branch and account in Thailand.  They will know this information based on account number. New York branch will charge a small fee, I think 15 USD.

If you do not mention your account is in Thailand and only provide account number and Bangkok Bank address and ABA number for New York branch SSA will think account is located in US.

ABA is American Banking Association and I believe Bangkok Bank is only Thai bank with an ABA number.  Its the number American banks use to send money between banks.

SWIFT number is for international transfers which SSA is not set up to use for Thailand.

Worth a try.

Hi Captnw4,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I wish you good luck
:)
Christine