Work Permit Requirement

Hey there,

I'm pretty new to this forum, so if I this question was already answered I'm sorry, but I really used the search engine ;)

So my question is pretty simple, I am finishing my Bachelor's degree (IT/computer science) in Germany. I do have about 1 year of documented work experience. After that I want to move to Hanoi to work there in the IT sector. I know that I need a business visa and a work permit.
My question is regarding the obtainment of a work permit in Vietnam.

Do I need my Bachelor's degree AND 3 years of experience or is my Bachelor's degree enough? As far as my research goes, this 3 years AND Bachelor's is about the exemption from work permit. Or is it a requirement for a normal work permit? I am a bit confused here.
They changed something about the laws in February and/or April this year, most sources state, that this "AND 3 years.." is about the exemption of a work permit.

Can someone shine some light into this? Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

you need a degree AND 3 years of experience to get a work permit.

I think exemptions only apply for those employed as a contractor under 90 days.

Oh okay!

So, what are my chances of getting a work permit with a IT Bachelor's and 1-1,5 years of work experience it my field? Non-existent?

in the end, it is really who you know and how much money you got.

getting an IT job maybe slightly difficult as they would select a Vietnamese over you unless you got something unique to offer. the other question is are you willing to accept a Vietnamese wage?

Hey it's me again,
I know you told me that the 3 years are a requirement for the work permit, but I found several sources stating that this "bachelor's + 3 years" just makes you become a "Foreign Expert" who are exempted from a work permit (See here and here).

But I can't find the requirements for a regular work permit anywhere.
Could anyone give me some informations?

Dang, with 40 years experience I must be the smartest IT expert in Saigon.

The work permit exemption is for people who are sent by companies who are already on that company's payroll, as in a TDY situation.  I think the regular requirement for a WP is 5 years if you are hired in country.  (Note to others:  I said "I think".  Please correct me if wrong but don't pounce.)   Native English speaking teachers are required to have a Bachelors degree plus a TEFL/TESL Certificate with the certificate substituting for the 5 years.

Remember, Vietnam is the country that gave us Floppy Bird and has been identified as the origin point for a lot of internet crime like phishing schemes, so there is plenty of homegrown talent in IT.  Unless you have something exceptional to offer, which is unlikely for a recent graduate, better to sharpen your skills in the EU.


I think you're mistaken about the work permit exemption. It's only for contractors whom stay is under 90 days. … April-2016 … anguage=en

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy stress-free travel to Vietnam