Close

Scammed by harres and broker

Hi all, my name is Lauren and I moved here fairly recently from South Africa. I would just like to share my experience and hope that it may help some new expats to be a little more vigilant and cautious than my husband and I were. Sorry its so long.

We've been thinking of moving from our current apartment in Salmiya because of the constant noise, filth in the roads, generally being in a busy lower income area and lack of amenities such as gym and pool, however when my husband signed the lease of our current apartment, it was all in Arabic so he didn't know that we needed to give a 2 month notice period as opposed to 1 month.
Anyway, we gave our notice and the harres notified my husband that he will see what he could do to get us out of our lease earlier.

So I started hunting for places. I found this lovely 2 bedroom apartment that was within our price range and had the extra amenities we were looking for and it was even closer to my daughters school. So we were happy. When we called the number on the advertisement, we explained to the guy (Mahmoud) that we are required to give a 2 month notice period before we can get out of our lease and discussed the possibility of them holding the flat. Mahmoud told us that he has been here for a long time and what our current landlords are doing is completely illegal and he assured us that it will be fine to move. He said that he will call our current landlord and make sure the matter is resolved. So my husband and I, being as trusting and as naiive as we are, believed that it would be OK. Mahmoud said there will be absolutely no issues in giving a one month notice, and further went on to explain that because there have been a lot of enquiries for the unit, we need to pay a deposit of 200kwd to secure it. Now, to us, 200kwd is a lot of money as my husband is the only one working at the moment and starting up in this country isn't cheap, however we paid the money in good faith and believe that this guy had our back.

We gave the money to the harres of the new building and requested a receipt. The harres said that they don't have receipts but all is fine, we must just send all our information to Mahmoud so he can draw up the contract. Reading my story as I am writing this, I think to myself, how the hell could we have been so stupid?? We would never have been so trusting back home, but here...we kind of thought that things were different.

Four days later, during the Eid celebrations the harres of our current building said to us that he tried to help us but the company that owns the building said there is no way we can get out of the 2 month agreement. We definitely weren't going to take a chance and risk getting a travel ban so my husband immediately got on the phone with Mahmoud to let him know and requested that either they hold the flat for us for another month as we paid the deposit or simply refund the deposit. Mahmoud refused either way. He again assured us that what our current landlord was doing was illegal. My husband told him that we signed a contract stating two months notice, we never ever got a contract from him, nor the receipt which we asked for. Were we expected to pay rent for two places, or throw away 200kwd for absolutely nothing!? Mahmoud's argument was that it was for their commission for the transaction that had taken place in giving us the flat...but we still had NO contract, NOTHING was signed and NO receipt. He said the company that owns the flat has refused to pay us our money back and has also refused to give us the keys to move in, so basically with absolutely no remorse, we have lost everything. Oh and they are refusing to give us our receipt as it was a "gentleman's agreement". We asked Mahmoud for the number and contact person of the company that he spoke of, he replied that he didn't know who they were and that we need to correspond with the harres. Eventually after being messed around and being thrown around in circles of BS - being told that he would pay the money back when we threatened to call the police, to being told we are getting nothing because this fictitious company has decided not to refund the money as the receipt says " non refundable" (Oh, the receipt that we requested but never got because we were told the company is refusing to give it to us). Then being told to meet him at a different location so he could pay us a portion (50kwd BIG whoop!), to him not even being at that location at that time and telling us he is not coming anymore.

We then decided to get a Kuwaiti friend of ours to assist us in the whole matter. He did a phenomenal job in threatening legal action and also eventually got Mahmoud to admit that he is not working for the company and that he is working for himself, which by the way is illegal as he is a foreigner (did i mention he is Egyptian?) After hundreds of messages back and forth, threats, YouTube police sirens in the background of phonecalls so that they would believe that we were taking this further, we eventually got every penny back. Which even then had to be grabbed out of the harres' hand as he wasn't going to give it all.

Anyway, this is a few lessons learnt: TRUST NO ONE! Always have everything in writing, even though things are usually done a little differently here in Kuwait and NEVER sign anything you have no idea how to read (Duh!)...oh and please don't trust this guy Mahmoud, he is apparently a broker for several places which I don't even think the landlords know about these transactions. His contact number is ****

Moderated by kenjee last year
Reason : To avoid diffamation, contact infos moderated.
laurenjpontes :

(did i mention he is Egyptian?)

thank god you resolved your issue, altho i must ask the purpose of the aforementioned statement you made.

I completely disagree with this statement "did i mention that he is Egyptian?" I understand your frustration and I'm glad your issue is resolved. Not all Egyptians are like this person, and it is not fair to intentionally - or unintentionally- related this bad doing to a specific nationality.

Again, good that you got your money back, but next time be careful. DO not sign any contract unless you understand it.

Sameh, you're right ...there are good Egyptians and Kuwaiti scamsters..not all bad people come from Egypt.... It's wrong to generalise, but, when (even in my case) you meet 4 Egyptians and they all are doung something not nice, you are prone to pass judgment..... Sad, but that's how survival instinct works.
It's like someone saying to me all Italians are Mafia.
I know its not true, but i acknowledge that many Italians gave a bad name to the rest, because of their actions.
it just takes a few people to destroy a county reputation.

pla96 :

Sameh, you're right ...there are good Egyptians and Kuwaiti scamsters..not all bad people come from Egypt.... It's wrong to generalise, but, when (even in my case) you meet 4 Egyptians and they all are doung something not nice, you are prone to pass judgment..... Sad, but that's how survival instinct works.
It's like someone saying to me all Italians are Mafia.
I know its not true, but i acknowledge that many Italians gave a bad name to the rest, because of their actions.
it just takes a few people to destroy a county reputation.

Dear Pla96, I totally understand this point. I am an Egyptian and I've met some Egyptians and they cheated me and even do the same with me too. However, you will meet very good Egyptians who are working in respectful jobs. The problem is 99% of the "Harres" are Egyptians who are not well-educated and unqualified to do any jobs. I've been in Dubai for several years. Rarely, you can meet bad Egyptians. Maybe you have met 4 Egyptians out of 550,000 who live and work in Kuwait.
I am not upset, I just do not like to generalize as you said, but I see no need to mention the nationality. and do not forget that Italians were living in Egypt ;)

Guys, problem with this place is that due to almost non-existing background checks it attracts all kind of shady characters from all over the world who then practice their scamming skills as they please.

As Egyptian community is second largest in Kuwait (?), by the rule of numbers it is likely you will run into someone who will leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Problem as I said is not the nationality, but the sort of a negative selection that takes place in Kuwait which makes it a fertile place for cheaters and drives everyone else away. It also just means that you need to dig deeper to find the people you can trust, but believe me, they are around. :)

well said Riba ;)

Expatriate health insurance in Kuwait

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Kuwait

Moving to Kuwait

Find tips from professionals about moving to Kuwait

Travel insurance in Kuwait

Enjoy stress-free travel to Kuwait

Flights to Kuwait

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Kuwait

2 million members!

Watch later