Climate Change in Indonesia

Whilst this is just one article about just one specific place in Indonesia, the undeniable facts are that rising oceans, due to ocean warming, is and will continue to have its potentially disastrous effects over time.

https://www.balidiscovery.com/messages/ … p?Id=13793

Indonesia, lest it be needed to say, is a vast archipelago of roughly 17,000 islands.  As a country, we have the second highest amount of ocean faced land in the world.  In case you're wondering what country is number 1, that would be Canada. 

Indonesia is of course one of the 175 countries that signed the “Paris Agreement” on the 22 of April this year, but the alarming fact is that Indonesia is the 5th in line country most in danger from rising sea levels:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/11/ … ea-levels/

On the other hand, by way of its persistent burning for further expansion of palm oil plantations, Indonesia is hardly “an innocent by stander”, and clearly is a contributor to the problem and the causes relating to global warming.

Chasing the dollar…economic growth is vital to our future…but at what ultimate, and inevitable cost?

This is not a political post…rather this is an issue that is of vital importance to us all. 

Whether or not we are citizens of Indonesia, or simply expatriates living here, we all share the same issues which effect our security, safety, and well being.

An interesting, and highly controversial, topic. Thank you for opening a discussion that, hopefully, will not become like Pandora's Box, rather more Like Aladdin's Cave in terms of rich and fruitful debate, information gathering and exchange.

I'm no expert in the science of climate change but do try to keep an open mind as to what may be either causing or contributing unnecessarily to the phenomenon.

To my unscientifically trained mind, it seems obvious that things like air conditioning, internal combustion engines and forest (or even local garden refuse) burning are major culprits. Something akin to Newton's Law of equal and opposite effect comes back to my dim high school science memory. One only has to pass by an air-conditioner unit to feel the blast of hot air being exhausted into an already overheating atmosphere.

On the subject of burning forest to clear land for palm oil cultivation, there's an interesting movement called Palm Oil Investigations that is doing some excellent work providing knowledge on the sneaky companies doing their best to hide this ingredient that's contributing to the inappropriate form of land clearing. Look them up on Facebook and learn about the devastation that's occurring.

My view on this issue is: knowing which products contain unethically produced Palm Oil, and trying to avoid buying them, is the most proactive one can be in trying to reduce a very significant problem.

On another point, regarding the countries with the largest ocean front land mass, without having checked the facts may I point to Australia as possibly having a longer coastline than Canada? Happy to be corrected here, just waving my Aussie patriotism and drawing on my geography classes where I stayed awake.

Great topic, looking forward to some hefty contributions.

Canada is far bigger than Australia as its lands spread into the Artic so there are many inlets and ravines which make it larger. Wikipedia suggests Australia is the 6th largest after other countries, but it depends on what you read but Canada is bigger.

We all guilty of using Palm Oil as it is hard not too. This link will explain why

https://drpongo.files.wordpress.com/201 … exweek.pdf

and we can all point the fingers at the producers of palm oil, yet our thirst for Pringles and shampoo goes unabated and so land gets cleared for that reason (well not just for that, but in a general sense, I am sure you catch my drift).

Whilst living in England, Climate change was blamed on emerging countries using coal and oil too much and clearing forest for financial gain. Then moving to an emerging country, you realise that people clear land for survival and the right to live their life in the only way they know. Then you read that the developing countries won't reduce their consumption of oil and coal but emerging countries need not use it and stop clearing land and will be paid to do that.
New people who come here complain that there are too many palm nut trees and rainforests being cleared and therefore ruing the world so they are instructed to switch off the AC and not use western toiletries to help save the planet, which of course they won't do as it is too hot and they like their comforts.

Everyone seems to know climate change is bad yet most won't make a stand or change their lifestyles to make a difference.

Spot on, Luke. Your point about people shifting blame especially, but your point about the history of coal burning, etc is also a big factor in the situation that's evolved.

Re the Pringle's and so, so many other products, I do take the time to read ingredient labels (always have for several other reasons) but, given inconsistent, lax and, in some countries non-existent labelling laws, its almost impossible to know who's the culprit.

Just being too hard to avoid Palm Oil doesn't cut it with me, so I not only read the labels but I use the very useful information from forums like Palm Oil Investigations. They also have a barcode scanner app that tells you instantly if a product contains 'bad' Palm Oil but, unfortunately, it's currently only relevant for Australian products. Hopefully a useful tool like that will one day extend its reach.

I feel really inadequate at the supermarket checkout as I see so many people with their bags of Minyak Goreng,  but I know they only buy it because it's cheaper. I don't and won't use it because of the irreparable damage being caused by the greed and carelessness of most of that product's manufacturers.

Under the irrefutable laws of supply and demand, if enough people avoid Palm Oil its sales could slow or even stop, defeating the current business model that's in place, lowering the profitability attraction and thus reducing supply. Of course, unless there's a viable (price and suply-wise) alternative, that theory could backfire.

In any case, consumers have the ultimate weapon and reform is really in the hands of the individual who takes responsibility rather than the easy path.

Check out Palm Oil Investigations Facebook pages to see the almost daily reports of Orang-utan murders and, thankfully, the many stories of rehabilitation from the efforts of many dedicated volunteers and officials.