Britain leaving the EU

We are hoping to move to Malta next year and now that Britain has left the EU will there be any changes regarding permanent residency there.

To save you waiting for a reply... there has been several threads on this already, and the reality is no one knows for sure and won't until negotiations are finalised through the Article 50 process which is yet to even be invoked. So, safest to assume that sometime around 2019 someone may be able to provide an answer to that question.

In reality, it seems unlikely people who have moved before the end of the Article 50 process will be given the heave-ho, but no one is committing to this either way politically yet. They can't as nothing has been agreed....

General consensus seems to be sod it, move anyway, there is probably nothing to panic over.

Hope that helps.

Goodison wrote:

We are hoping to move to Malta next year and now that Britain has left the EU will there be any changes regarding permanent residency there.

A couple of points, the UK has not left the EU yet, so absolutely no change, you are still entitled to come and live here under EU law.

Secondly, as far as I am aware, you can only apply for permanent residency after you have been here for a period of 5 years.

Ray

Thanks Ray. I thought I read someone's mail that you had to fill various forms in if you have stayed in Malta for more than three months continuous?
Anymore info on this subject much appreciated
Goodison

That is simply to inform the Maltese Government of you intention to reside in Malta. You fill in the forms and ensure that you have health cover and the Government will issue you with an eResidence card which is your resident documentation and ID. This lasts for 5 years.

Try reading the 'Sticky' at the top of the forum which gives you details, it could save you asking the same questions again!
Try this link to it :-

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

Ray