Adapting to the climate in Tunisia

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Tunisia is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Tunisia?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Tunisia?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Tunisia has a climate classified as 'mediteranean', however, it depends on where you come from as to how you adjust.  As an Australian living in Tunisia for a long time I still find winter hard.  I live in the north (and in the south) and it is always very, very cold, very windy and usually wet.  Most houses have no heating and usually when visiting you need to sit in your coat with blankets piled on top lol!!  Summers are usually hot which suits me just fine.

So if you are coming here as an expat you should make sure that there is some form of heating in any property you choose and probably that you have some air-con.

Hi Priscilla,

First of all, welcome to Tunis, I hope u enjoy ur staying.
1/ The climate in Tunis is mediterranean i.e. hot summer and wet winter: Usually, we have a hot long summer, so pack a lot of summer clothes :p

I advise u to avoid going out during peak hours (noon) and if u have to, use sun cream, hat and light clothes, but it gets cooler during the night with a light breeze ( air-condi is a must though ).

The winter is not that cold compared to other countries but its humid causing major hair issues :D. Sometimes it gets rainy and windy and foggy.

The main characteristic of the local weather is that it's unpredictable,  in one day it rains its sunny windy ect but u'll get used to it with time.

I hope i was of any help, for any something else, feel free to ask!

see u

I'm from California originally and have been living in sfax for almost 11 months now and I have to say the weather is about the same. The exception being sandstorms! When those winds start blowing stay inside!