Adapting to the climate in Paraguay

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Paraguay is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Paraguay?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Paraguay?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Climate in Paraguay is basically two types in regards temperature -  Unbelievably hot (90% of the time) and comfortable (10% of the time).   When it's hot it's also normally very humid.  Shorts, sandals and loose clothing is the normal attire to make it thru the hot periods.  This winter so far we've had about a month of unseasonably cold weather where it only gets up to around 60 - 70 degree F during the day and down to low 40's F during the evening hours.  They even had frost about 3 mornings it was so cold.  Otherwise the winter time (June - September) has some very pleasant sunny cool days.   There is also a lot of rain here with the potential for very violent storms with lots of flooding.  In Asuncion, as they have very poorly designed drainage for the city, the streets can become raging rivers at times.  Plus the rivers can flood and displace whole neighborhoods in Asuncion, which happens annually.   If you come here and either rent a place or even stay in a hotel during the summer, you must insure that there are A/C units that work, otherwise you will be very sorry.  Ceiling fans are also required for comfort and most places have them.

I don't live in PY yet but i do live in a country which is very similar, Vietnam.  Hottest most humid place i have every spent time short of S.A. rainforests.   My first few months were tough until i adopted a simple practice that has mitigated much of my discomfort.  In the USA one usually takes a shower once a day...maybe another at the gym or after work.  In Vietnam i get grimy and and ripe within hours which makes me irritable.

Solution: i take about 4-5 quick showers per day ....amazing how much it improved my disposition.

I will be doing same after my arrival in PY for sure. Adapt.