Adapting to the climate in the Netherlands

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to the Netherlands is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of the Netherlands?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in the Netherlands?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Coming from a warm country (South Africa) this was one of my biggest concerns but it turned out to be a very minor issue for myself and my Israeli boyfriend (even hotter country!). What really helped us was doing as the Dutch do and just going out no matter the weather. Rain shine or snow everyone just gets on with it and if you are walking or riding your bicycle you warm up quite a lot. We've been to the beach in 60kmph winds, to the forests in 2 degrees and explored as long as it wasn't totally miserable outside and we really enjoyed it. It's just part of the experience. Get 6 different types of coats and waterproof boots, learn to dress accordingly and enjoy it. Rain can be peaceful, snow is beautiful, ice is exciting and makes cool noises when you throw stuff on it, wind is invigorating, but if you hide inside and avoid those experiences it will just seem miserable. There are also plenty of warm(ish) and sunny days and it's best for vitamin D's sake to take advantage of those too.