Adapting to the climate in Mauritius

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Mauritius is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Mauritius?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Mauritius?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

I guess the answer very much depend on where you originally came from. In my case, I was born in grew up in Poland, and then last 11 years in London UK. And although I had much better hopes with regards to the Mauritian weather, I am actually finding it quite difficult to adjust. During summer I feel too tired and sleepy all the time and I feel like my body retains water in summer, during Mauritian winter however seems to be raining almost every day, and I feel dull and moody.

In addition, all these cockroaches, lizards and aunts really put me off. Hopefully others are adjusting much better than me!, haha. Agnieszka

i dont think one can adjust to mauritian weather as long as yu r not a local, you just never know with this weather, when you think you have mastered it, it changes its pattern

There is a BIG BIG Climate Change.  I never had to worry wearing winter clothes in Mauritius and I always wore short sleeves.  People need to realise that with modern living standards there is a price to pay.  I am afraid that the cold feeling at night and early morning is due to the TILES we now have as standard in the home.  It is colder indoors than outdoor!!  This is the firts time in 43 years that I have to wear clothes to keepme warm in Mauritius.
Anyway, I am an old man and I expect the younger people NOT to suffer as much in adjusting!! Haaaa Haa Haaaaaaa!!

I love hot weather so have not found it a problem adjusting and as I say to my colleagues, the Mauritian winter on the coast is like a British summer and even the plateau weather is better than when I lived in Yorkshire for several years.  Yes the odd day of rain is a pain, but at least it does not get that cold in the evenings.
I agree with Vedan that wearing the right clothes and footwear is the key.
As to the insects, it is no worse than being in Italy in the summer.

I really agree with u Jkev. The Mauritian winter is somehow not  predictable on how the day will b. It becomes a great challenge for some of us in Botany field .. If not well managed u may b challenged by fungal diseases..