Adapting to the climate in Hong Kong

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Hong Kong is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Hong Kong?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Hong Kong?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla,

I lived in Hong Kong for 7 years. Hong Kong has a pretty nice climate with hot and humid summers and cool and occasionally cold winters. In the summer, usually a shirt and tie is good when outdoors. It is also worth getting some custom made summer suits from one of the many excellent tailors in Hong Kong. You can order light wool suits which do not crease like linen or cotton suits do.

I've always worked either in Tsimshatsui or in Central District close to the Landmark Building, so I never had far to walk. Still, in the summer you can expect to build up a sweat if you have far to walk and if you are lucky you can walk through malls on your way to work which always have excellent airconditioning..

In winter time, it is necessary to wear a coat as the temperature can get pretty low. I used to wear an overcoat on top of my suit. It can also get quite windy at times too.

The important thing to remember is that Hong Kong gets typhoons or tropical storms. These are very severe storms and can disrupt many of the local transport systems, including the ferries that I used to take home to Discovery Bay. Your company will usually tell you in advance and allow you to leave work early in order to pick up kids from school or to take get back home. I cannot overestimate the severity of typhoons and everyone would want to be home when they hit.

Residents in Hong Kong all know to use masking tape or packaging tape to crisscross on the windows of your apartment to try to keep the windows as in tact as possible if the glass was to break.

Regards,
Hansson