Adapting to the climate in Austria

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Austria is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Austria?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Austria?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

The climate changing here in Austria is apsolutelly crazy...

I can say I have lived in 4 different countries and here the weather is crazy... in the morning you can see sun and after a few hours rain than again sun then again rain... all because of the Alps here.. if you are someone like me where your mood and health is depending from the Clima then do this:

My suggestion is to do Sport as much as you can, be sexual active, visit Spa centers and sauna's... and drink a lot of tea's and water.... but sometimes you cannot beat the weather, the weather will beat you no matter what you will take against that...

Best regards,
Nikola

It depends where you live in Austria. Summers in Vienna can be blisteringly hot, and would need regular escapes to the Vienna woods or further down the Danube valley. Temperatures can reach 38C, but Vienna also has a tendency to have gentle breezes coming off the Hungarian puszta too.
Salzburg can be wet, but a lot cooler. Graz, because it is surrounded by mountains can tend to bottle up the blistering heat and get muggy too. In the Alps, whichever range tend to be a lot cooler in the summer, certainly wetter, with maximum of 35C. Winters vary, Probably Graz is the mildest, being more sheltered. Vienna can be very bitterly cold. If you want proper seasons, not too hot summers, and lots of snow, stick to the mountain areas. Air in the mountains is far less muggy than in England, although this year so far we have had unusally muggy wet weather. Thunder storms anywhere in Austria can be spectacular. Sometimes even when it snows!

Rod, you've always an interesting reply. Eric

Hi,

It depends which part of Austria you are going to be.

I have been returning in Spring and Summer months to Sankt Wolfgang am See for 24 years and find the weather average is: Sunshine every day and rain every day. On the lake a storm can come up any moment. We carry a light wt, plastic poncho with us where ever we go. An umbrella or two in the car. Don't let the rain stop from doing what you plan for it will turn into sunny weather soon.  Don't complain about the weather for the rain is what makes the grass green, the flower beautiful, the air fresh here on the lake, and yes...perfect for romance.
Barbara