Close

What can i do if they don't return my passport?

This is whitney,currently leaving in oman,am 23year ,am here working as a maid,am from uganda...
I just need help,been in oman now 7months,and can't take it any more,working everyday for 15hrs,no rest,my body is so tired ,want to go back to my country ,but kind worried i don't know they will return my passport.what i can do?
Oman has  no  ugandan  embassy

Moderated by Priscilla 6 months ago
Reason : title changed for more visibility

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Your employer is already committing an illegal act by taking 15 hours work per day. As per the labor law, it shudnt be more than 8 hours a day (And any extra hour to be paid as overtime). However, as a general slave mentality, nobody cares for this,

If you have decided to leave and you don;t have any bond with your employer, simply speak to him/them and try to take the passport back, If they don;t, then the only option you have is to seek the help of ROP and report the employer to ROP / Manpower ministry and they could do the rest.

If you're from Ugunda, try to find the nearest embassy of your country and report there either

I know the situation for maids in some of that area's countries is bad, with many countries refusing to allow maids to go to places such as Saudi Arabia, and others setting up shelters for their citizens in places like Oman.
Uganda, at least as far as internet searching goes, has no facilities at all.

The point of contact appears to be here

http://riyadh.mofa.go.ug/data/staff/9/D … Staff.html

Ambassador Plenipotentiary and Extraordinary of the Republic of Uganda to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kingdom of Bahrain, The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Sultanate of Oman, The State of Kuwait, The State of Qatar and Republic of Yemen.

http://riyadh.mofa.go.ug/data/mmenu/11/Contacts.html

Contact Information

Embassy of the Republic of Uganda
11 Hassan Bin Nooman St
Al Worood District
P.O. Box  94344 Riyadh 11693
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Tel No : +966 11 454 4910
Fax No: +966 11 454 9264
Email:   ugariyadh[at]hotmail.com

It seems as if your best chance is to contact the above as quickly as possible.

whitneykay :

This is whitney,currently leaving in oman,am 23year ,am here working as a maid,am from uganda...
I just need help,been in oman now 7months,and can't take it any more,working everyday for 15hrs,no rest,my body is so tired ,want to go back to my country ,but kind worried i don't know they will return my passport.what i can do?
Oman has  no  ugandan  embassy

Hi whitneykay,

Very sad and distressed to read your post.

Unfortunately, some humans behave very inhumanely to a fellow human - just because they are economically and financially stronger than the oppressed. But the sadder truth is that you are not alone in this. There are scores more who are in a similar position as you, perhaps even much worse.

You have a few options open in front of you to consider and act :

(1) First thing that you have to do is to speak to the person / agent / manpower agency who aligned you with this sponsor and got you this job. Tell them that things are not good and that you wish to return immediately, since you cannot put up with this any longer. They will not agree to you since on your behalf money would have exchanged hands.

(2) Next thing you can do is to get some local help and support, go to the Ministry of Manpower, and file a formal complaint against your employer / sponsor. The Ministry of Manpower does take these complaints quite seriously and your sponsor when he comes to know of what has been done will be worried. Seriously worried.

(3) You can also go straight to the Royal Oman Police and lodge a complaint that your employer has unlawfully confiscated and seized your passport and is stopping you from returning back home. This amounts to no less than kidnapping you and making you work as forced labour. Both of these are serious crimes against another human being and are clear human rights violations. Besides obvious breach of the Sultanate's strict labour laws.

Make sure you have all your papers in order – your employment contract, which clearly states the terms of your employment with the roles and responsibilities defined.

Unless you speak up, you will get victimised further. Take a bold stance. Approach the right officials - Ministry of Manpower and the Royal Oman Police.

Wishing you all the very best.

Expatriate health insurance in Oman

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Oman

Moving to Oman

Find tips from professionals about moving to Oman

Travel insurance in Oman

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Oman

Flights to Oman

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Oman