Close
Follow all our news on Facebook!

Mass Fish Deaths due to Pollution

Formosa has officially be blamed for polluting the sea and causing mass fish deaths in Ha Tinh Province. Very sad to see and read about this news. I hope Vietnam does not become the next China, because I kind of like Vietnam. I am by no means an environmentalist but these types of things should not happen and the penalties should be harsh. Hopefully the officials will chose justice instead of an envelope. As Vietnam becomes more developed I am interested as to how situations like this will be handled. I believe Vietnam has a bright future with an energetic young population, but these types of situations could change my beliefs.

thanhniennews.com/society/taiwans-steel-firm-formosa-promises-to-deal-with-fish-kill-disaster-in-central-vietnam-63679.html

7Steven :

Formosa has officially be blamed for polluting the sea and causing mass fish deaths in Ha Tinh Province. Very sad to see and read about this news. I hope Vietnam does not become the next China, because I kind of like Vietnam. I am by no means an environmentalist but these types of things should not happen and the penalties should be harsh. Hopefully the officials will chose justice instead of an envelope. As Vietnam becomes more developed I am interested as to how situations like this will be handled. I believe Vietnam has a bright future with an energetic young population, but these types of situations could change my beliefs.

thanhniennews.com/society/taiwans-steel-firm-formosa-promises-to-deal-with-fish-kill-disaster-in-central-vietnam-63679.html

Yes I read that the blame storming that followed the large scale pollution of the Vietnam sea, leading to the killing of thousands of tons of fish has been blamed on the Formosans (Taiwanese Chinese). However, who was it that passed the plans for the chemical effluent pipeline to be built? I mean its not like its a half inch domestic water pipe.

Who passed the plans for the factory to be built with an effluent outfall into the sea?

Who conducted and agreed the environmental protection plan?

And answer came there none. Because you see there wasn't anyone........ to answer honestly.

With apologies to Charles Lutwidge Dodgeson.

Formosa has agreed to pay 500 million USD for this incident.
As we typically see here, the blame was place on an unnamed subcontractor, so everyone has saved face.
I agree the pipeline out to sea had to be approved and installed by someone, yet those names cannot be found.
With 2 months passed just to announce it was industrial pollution, I imagine this will be the last we hear about this topic.
When will the huge younger population of Vietnam demand the higher standards they want and tell me about?

They wont. There is still a need for education in many fields - standards; safety; quality; environment; responsibility.... to name only a few. Once the education process is fully underway, people will come to expect higher standards  and compliance.

Right now, face saving is more important.

Spot on, Matt

If they don't know where they are going, does the road Matter..?

..and besides, no one will get there before them...      :proud

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Vietnam

Flights to Vietnam

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Vietnam