Quest: Best way to learn Polish quickly - give your view!

Hi, Patrik/Peaco here!

I am just wanting to start a discussion of advice on how to learn polish.
There are a lot of people who already are very proficient in Polish on the forum - so you know ABOUT Polish.
Then there are people who don't know Polish as well, but know much more about HOW TO LEARN Polish.

I am of the second kind, but... I am a beginner.
I don't participate in any classes. I don't have money for that actually.
I am interested in everybodies advice, and I have a plan to write a book (long-time project but... well) trying to improve the 'biodiversity' of the already existing books.
I am currently digging in dictionaries and learning words, and little by little getting the hang of grammar.
I know some basic theory, but practice comes LATER for me.
I practice with people mostly, as well as writing a lot on my own.

Before I continue I would just like to see some interest on the subject. (I might well be the main 'poster' here but)..

So go ahead - shooot your ideas!!

Yours, Peaco!

Hi Paco,

I think that the best idea is to meet natives and try to talk Polish as often as you can. I did it in US and I have to tell you it helped a lot. I was meeting with my neighbors everyday and we talked about everything - from politics to dog's food. This way you will learn new vocabulary and you always can ask if your pronunciation is good etc.  I also attended some ESL classes which were not expensive. I know there are some courses for foreigners here in Warsaw, because my Italian friend attended them and made a lot of friends.

Thanks Katie!

I already know that though - but it is a very good thing!
Talk as much as you can, at EVERY opportunity.
Another tip from me is to meet NEW people, and get emotionally involved with them = be positive and friendly.
Why? Because emotion is motivation. And they have something that you don't - language skill!
My personal issue is that I usually don't sacrifice interest or personality to 'whoever'.
I need to meet people who are alike me in energy, and outlook on life (no big news daah!), and who are reasonably intelligent and of higher class (because I am both).
Otherwise... I don't have emotion, and I sure don't have motivation.

Motivation AND discipline are KEY to any learning activity.

But as said: My strategy right now is to constantly improve the vocabulary, SPEAK to people, do grammatical exercises.

I am also having a goal to write a book on Learning Polish - because there is a lot to improve on this field.
Anyone interested in collaboration may contact me!!!

So, next poster please!

It is a VERY good idea to be specific when you post.

(The forum is not soo active but I have some hope!):cool:

Hi Peaco

I think it is a great idea with this book. What you could also do is to produce a series of funny yet simple video podcasts showing different everydaylife situations one faces while trying to learn Polish. This could be very helpful for beginners.

Also what would be great are nicely designed stickers or cards with vocabulary that one could spread in the flat and thus remember the nice words more easily...

The only foreign people I know who speak really good Polish had a mix of an emotional and professional interest to learn the language...

Cheers