Any expat nurses in Australia

Hello!!!
I'm a US trained RN (with loads of experience) currently living in Wales planning/trying to move to Australia in 2011. I would love to hear from any expats about your experience in getting over to Australia under a nursing visa/457/ENS...

Did you use a recruitment agency?

Did you contact hospitals/nurse managers directly?

Which visa have you gone over on?  Was it hospital sponsored?  Did you have any hassles?

Any hospitals which are outstanding, any I should avoid?

I would appreciate any information.

Many thanks!

tmsimon

Welcome on board tmsimon ;)

Have you tried in looking at our Australia guide section. There are various articles & links which might help you.

Regards ;)

Hello tmsimon!  I am currently living in the USA and have worked as as RN/RN manager for the past 15 years.  I am also hoping to move to Australia soon.  Could you please share any info you receive?  I have never worked outside of the USA so this will be all new for me.  Where did you work in the states?

Hi Babbette,
I've worked in California and in Kentucky. Are you in Layfayette, LA?

I have found out quite a bit of info on working in Australia.  I think the first step would be to get registered as an RN in Oz with the AHPRA (Australian Health Practioner Agency- just google them). Go to the nurses link (its in a drop down thingie on the toolbar), then international trained nurses link, then forms- there is a specific form for international trained nurses to fill out and send back.  You'll need to gather certain information to send back with the registration form, such as a CV/resume (look at their suggestions about how it should look and what info it should contain- it's very different from a US one and it has to be signed by your current manager with a statement that it's true and correct, etc, etc,etc.  There are quite a few hoops to jump through.  However,once you're registered, the path to employment and sponsorship is easier (I think).

Have you considered where it is you'd like to live in Australia?  Do you want to go on a PR/permanent resident visa or feel confident to go on a temporary visa with option to apply for PR.  Each way has its pros and cons.

PM me if you like, I have load more info...

All the best and Happy New Year!

tmsimon