Proof of Address Info

Hi does anyone know if I need to be a permanent resident to get proof of address or is it just a matter of showing them a utility bill or lease? I'm on a tourist visa. Thx!

Why do you need proof of address ?   Showing bills to who ?

A proof of address is an electric bill or a Telmex bill.

To get a monthly Telcel plan with a contract, they asked for combromante de domicilio, which I couldn't get from my landlord, so I have this strange pay as you go plan that you can't pay for using the online system and can't track data with...ugh

Take a bill to the local Municipio office and ask them for a combromante de domicilio.  Costs about 70 pesos here

Hey Sparksmex. Thanks for the info, but I don't have any bills that come to me. I'm a long term airbnb renter!

If you are Renting and don't own any property or have a job in Mexico, you don't need a Temporary Resident status. Just get the 6 month pass and don't worry.
If you need proof of residence for other things, go to CFE and ask them to send your electric bill to your apartment address under Your name. Make sure there isn't and old balance from a previous tenant because they may bill you for it. Usually they want a refundable deposit of approx. $575.00 Pesos. If you move, make sure to tell CFE so they can change your billing address and re apply your deposit to your new address.
This worked for me, i'm in Tijuana and have had no border problems or anything bad in over 4 ½ years.
FYI: I just asked a Passport Agent today, 07/06/16 about the Temp. Res. Visa and was told not necessary unless you own property or work in Mexico.
Good Luck! :cheers:

TJ, An FMM is good if you live close to the border, but most don't live as close as you. Need a local bank account? A FMM won't cut it. You'll need, at least a Residencia Temporal. Need an INAPAM card for discounts on travel and some purchases. the FMM will not cut it as you need a Residencia to apply.

As for changing the billing address on the CFE account. Your suggestion goes against what most (all in my experience) expats do. Here, far from the border, the CFE account remains in the name of the owner of the property. I did know someone who changed his TelMex account to his name and that cost him around 2,000 pesos and a few months of waiting.

Yeah. there are pros and cons to using Airbnb. One of them is that you're not considered a real tenant. You're like a house guest who pays.

joaquinx wrote:

TJ, An FMM is good if you live close to the border, but most don't live as close as you. Need a local bank account? A FMM won't cut it. You'll need, at least a Residencia Temporal. Need an INAPAM card for discounts on travel and some purchases. the FMM will not cut it as you need a Residencia to apply.

As for changing the billing address on the CFE account. Your suggestion goes against what most (all in my experience) expats do. Here, far from the border, the CFE account remains in the name of the owner of the property. I did know someone who changed his TelMex account to his name and that cost him around 2,000 pesos and a few months of waiting.

On the border of California and Mexico CFE will only change the name on a bill if you show them a lease with your name or a property title with your name at that address. Otherwise it stays in the name on the bill. Many/most landlords will tell the renter with a lease to not change the name from the owners name for capital gains considerations when and if they sell the property. So it is usual that the name stays in the owners name. The owners need proof that for 5 years the property was their primary residence to skip paying capital gains taxes.

Thanks for your reply.
I wish more people would explain how different areas in Mexico operate differently.

Using a lease for proof of address has never been a problem for me during the almost 8 years I've been in Mexico.  INM in Zacatecas and Xalapa accepted them no problem, so did INAPAM.

Lease or utility bill. Oddly, the utility bill need not be in your name

This is to verify that the address exists and is not fake, thus the CFE bill doesn't have to be in your name. As a matter of fact, rarely will any renter have a utility bill in their name since the responsibility  for payment in on the owner not the renter.

I did have an electric bill for 4 years because I rented with water only included.
Gas was bottled and a tank lasted about 3 months.  quite reasonable;e even though the price rises every month.
Electricity was less than 150 pesos/mo.

My landlady is putting in separate meters for her house and the two apartments she rents.
Electricity is included in the rent but the total on one bill has started to push her bill into the highest rate.
I suggested that splitting into three might save enough to pay for the cost, which reminds me I should  ask her if rent will still include electricity or we'll each pay our own bills.  To avoid a surprise.

Gud, if you are running an AC or a room heater then the electric bill can hit 1,000 pesos or more. But you don't need an AC in Coatepec, but might need a room heater in January. Aside from that, I doubt if you bill will be over 200 peso for the 2 months.

Room heater is gas and there are some winter evenings where it is needed.

When I start sweating sitting still, I desire an AC though I can live without it using a floor fan.  An AC would be nice in the bedroom during the 4 hours most days in Spring/Summer/Autumn when the temp gets into the high 80's outside and sometimes higher inside.

A 1000 peso bill, even monthly, is a half, possibly a third of what it would be in Las Vegas, NV for the same size apartment.