Thoughts on the Brexit vote?

El_Jost wrote:

Sometimes you go on like three yentas sitting around chatting, having cupcakes and tea.  :unsure

Well, those that hang out here have to have some entertainment in our dotage.   And this is an ideal forum for going on and on and on and on....

Personally, I'm looking forward to taking up chatting at bus stops, in post office lines or in the park.

El_Jost wrote:

Sometimes you go on like three yentas sitting around chatting, having cupcakes and tea.  :unsure

Among friends I have been known to discuss topics ranging from nuclear physics to the ideal thickness of frosting on a cake. All within 10 minutes. Just fun, idle, banter. And some here, myself included, do this at this forum as well.

But with that being said, the OP did suggest some topics are best moved to a new topic, and the OP has a point. And it is easy to create a new topic.  :)

klsallee wrote:

....But with that being said, the OP did suggest some topics are best moved to a new topic, and the OP has a point. And it is easy to create a new topic.  :)

The moderators will punish us if we do not discuss Hungarian nuclear physics, Hungarian icing, Hungarian bus stops etc.  Of course, Hungarian nuclear physics, icing and bus stops are different to everyone else's. 

Anyway, what it really needs is an "Anything Else" thread which could go anywhere.

BTW, just to Brexit this posting, looks like the UK will get a Remain oriented PM.  Quite a surprise.  Rumours now are the need for an election to endorse the appointment.  It could also head off the Scottish referendum retry.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Anyway, what it really needs is an "Anything Else" thread which could go anywhere.

I am old enough to remember using newsgroups, where there were exactly a "sub group" for off topic discussions. Among the power players, I think only Reddit still has such clear demarcation for such a concept. Otherwise, a real interesting phenomenon that this idea has been "lost" in most current "social media" circles, where most everything appears to be considered both simultaneously on and off topic.  :)

fluffy2560 wrote:

BTW, just to Brexit this posting, looks like the UK will get a Remain oriented PM.  Quite a surprise.  Rumors now are the need for an election to endorse the appointment.  It could also head off the Scottish referendum retry.

Yes, very interesting indeed. As I already said, this is really all very entertaining and I already ran out of popcorn watching it all (but I do have some bags of chili flavored tortilla chips, which act as an acceptable substitute).  ;)

fluffy2560 wrote:

The moderators will punish us if we do not discuss Hungarian nuclear physics, Hungarian icing, Hungarian bus stops etc.  Of course, Hungarian nuclear physics, icing and bus stops are different to everyone else's.

Well, then, to satisfy TBTB (the powers that be): I find that Hungarian nuclear physics is problematic regarding Paks, the icing on the local Esterházy Torte is near perfect, and Hungarian bus stops due to discontinuous and disjointed EU grants, poorly implemented, exhibit an eclectic disregard for any pretense or semblance for any professional concept of regional planning and are thus an unmitigated visual eyesore (especially for tourists, where I live around the Balaton, who have no idea why bus stop design changes after just a few stations).

klsallee wrote:

...I am old enough to remember using newsgroups, where there were exactly a "sub group" for off topic discussions. Among the power players, I think only Reddit still has such clear demarcation for such a concept. Otherwise, a real interesting phenomenon that this idea has been "lost" in most current "social media" circles, where most everything appears to be considered both simultaneously on and off topic..........As I already said, this is really all very entertaining and I already ran out of popcorn watching it all (but I do have some bags of chili flavored tortilla chips, which act as an acceptable substitute).  ;) .....Well, then, to satisfy TBTB (the powers that be): I find that Hungarian nuclear physics is problematic regarding Paks, the icing on the local Esterházy Torte is near perfect, and Hungarian bus stops....who have no idea why bus stop design changes after just a few stations).

I'm also old enough to remember newsgroups.  There are plenty of free bulletin board software products around.  I remember when you had to dial them up by modem - seems crazy now.  I'm not in FB or LinkedIn. I thought my phone was trying to recruit people to invite me to those things.  But now I realise Google scans your e-mail contacts, uploads to FB etc., which then sends you an e-mail to tell you about all the people you know.  I think they even send e-mails purporting to be from other people. It's an arms race to try and stop them before they find out how to get around those blockers.

For Brexit TPTB, I'm amazed the UK won't select the leader until September.  That's months.  Why so long and  leaving the ship rudderless?

But now the most important points,  rather coincidentally, in my locale, we have a bus stop shop.  You can see various models available here:

Where to buy a bus stop

Spot your local model on bus stops. I think there's an opportunity to publish a Hungarian version of  Soviet Bus Stops which remarkably has some very interesting designs.  See here: Soviet Bus Stops.  Definitely a gap in the market for the off season for someone?

I'm not one for cakes these days as the sugar is bad for my health. 

Regarding Paks, this is rather a problem, what with the Russians being involved and questions on EU competition laws being circumvented.  I think Bulgaria has to shut theirs down.  Same design as Chernobyl.  EU pushed that.  Now with Brexit, maybe the UK can keep all its nuclear power stations as it can ignore EU law.

fluffy2560 wrote:

For Brexit TPTB, I'm amazed the UK won't select the leader until September.  That's months.  Why so long and  leaving the ship rudderless?

I can only think that it would take that long to get the ballot design out of committee (that alone could take two months), printed, and sent to all the party members to vote on.

fluffy2560 wrote:

But now the most important points,  rather coincidentally, in my locale, we have a bus stop shop.  You can see various models available here:

Where to buy a bus stop

Spot your local model on bus stops.

I wish. Those all look like pretty normal and practical bus stop buildings to keep the weather out, while being able to see the bus coming.

Around here they seem all uniquely artsy, hand made and designed (so somebody got a good part of the grant to design and custom build them new each time). But they are not really practical.  They are often uncomfortable to sit in (somebody had the bad idea in one in particular to put a row of "decorative" raised 10 cm wide tiles right at mid back level behind the wood bench which serves as the seat), and too commonly have limited side protection from blowing rain and snow, or limited visibility to see the bus coming, so you have to either stand almost outside them or keep getting up if you think you "hear" the bus coming. Making them in some weather conditions not much better than having nothing there at all.

Sorry OP. I really went off topic now. Bad. Especially after suggesting not to do that. Bad. Very Bad.

klsallee wrote:

I can only think that it would take that long to get the ballot design out of committee (that alone could take two months), printed, and sent to all the party members to vote on.

There's only something like 160K members of the Conservative Party.  They could print and post in a weekend.  5 weeks, maximum:   1 week print/post, 2 weeks to think/lobby, 1 week return/announce, 1 week spare for machinations.   160K people is a small electorate for a PM.

There's a load of nonsense in the politics going on there at the moment over the candidates having or not having children.

klsallee wrote:

Around here they seem all uniquely artsy, hand made and designed (so somebody got a good part of the grant to design and custom build them new each time).

Well, nothing wrong with having design to improve the urban environment. Look at Soviet Bus Stops - there had to be some thought there.   Got anything on street view to illustrate the Balaton style? 

Designer bus stops are probably funded by EU grants, hence the Brexit connection.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Well, nothing wrong with having design to improve the urban environment. Look at Soviet Bus Stops - there had to be some thought there.

I like good design. And I like artsy. But for products that are to be used, they also need to include function and utility in the design. The bus stops look good. But they have user flaws which show to me the designers probably have never used a bus stop.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Got anything on street view to illustrate the Balaton style?

Not that I am aware of, but the next time I go out cycling I will take photos.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Designer bus stops are probably funded by EU grants, hence the Brexit connection.

Ah, good! Getting back on topic.  :)

Yes, these were mostly, if not entirely, funded by EU grants. Which is why they should *work* efficiently for those that use them, not just look pretty for tourists. Else they are a waste of money and the Brits have a point why their money should go for such structures.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Got anything on street view to illustrate the Balaton style?

Not that I am aware of, but the next time I go out cycling I will take photos.

Google Streetview is quite a good method of inspecting street objects and does not involve actually physically cycling there or otherwise. 

Google will be in trouble over the Safe Harbour legislation and there will be fall out from Brexit on the UK. Facebook will be in bother now as well.  Just to make sure Brexit is included in this posting.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Google Streetview is quite a good method of inspecting street objects and does not involve actually physically cycling there or otherwise.

But I *like* cycling.  :)

Did two loops around the St. George hill yesterday, including one road up the hill -- lousy roads, so great for testing the suspension (yes, I was on my mountain bike not my road bike). Have even done semi-competitive tours.   :cool:

So photos are simply serendipitous to my otherwise normal outings. I just need to change my standard route to pass more bus stops for photo ops. ;)

I think BREXIT demands that we talk about all things BREXIT including nuclear physics and pastry ergonomics.  After all, how would BREXIT feel if you started excluding them from such discussions before they invoked Article 50?

You are welcome to start a new forum discussion if you'd like, just don't go to BREXIT bulletin boards where I would have trouble following the discussion.  However, for my snack, might I suggest Kürtőskalács?  For those preferring savory, nothing beats Magyar szalami and cheese... (I think I put enough thoughts of BREXIT in this post to keep things relevant for the Admins).

Vicces1 wrote:

However, for my snack, might I suggest Kürtőskalács?  For those preferring savory, nothing beats Magyar szalami and cheese...

I like Kürtőskalács. And I really like trappist cheese made in Hungary.  :)

P.S. For allowing diversity in the comments, you are a very cool OP.   :top:

Despite previous assertions to the contrary, I like diversity -- of people and food.
It's funny that Hungarians look down a bit at a good Trappista sajt, instead looking for Dutch and French cheeses.  But I find a good Trappista to be the perfect accompaniment to a fat-laden, spicy Pick szalami -- the slight rubbery yet creamy texture of the cheese perfectly balances the flavors. And throw in some Eros Pista for extra spiciness and fresh paprika for crunch -- Yumm!  I'm making myself hungry....

This just gets more and more interesting:

Theresa May is poised to become British prime minister after Andrea Leadsom drops out of race

Grabbing more pop.... uhm... er.... Magyar szalami and cheese...  :)

In terms of what Brexit means for me, it's uncertainty.
I'm British. I've been living between the UK and Hungary for the past 15 months, and own a small apartment in district VII.
I'm a computer programmer by trade and I'm just in the process of opening up my own Hungarian tech company. I like living/working in Budapest and there's lots of good talent around when (hopefully) my company grows beyond myself and business partner.

I voted to remain (obviously!) and everyone I know did. I'm absolutely devastated by the result and what it could mean.  The result was very close, and was only swayed by the older generation. If you just look at how the under 50s voted then it was "remain"!

However, if/when Britain leaves the EU I really don't know if/how this is going to affect...

1) If I can keep my apartment or if I want to buy business property in the future
2) If I can keep running my company
3) If I can stay in Hungary more than 90 days at a time (I don't know if the current rule means 90 days in a year, or 90 days in a row)
4) If I will be able to live in Hungary full time in the future, if my tech business is as successful as I hope

One part of me says bail out now before I put more effort in.
But the dominant side of me says I should just carry on as if nothing has happened and hope that the rules put in place will allow me to continue with my plans.

In terms of what impact it would have on Hungary, I think very little.
There will be a few hundred UK ex-pats who perhaps may have to leave depending on the deal struck, some businesses may decide to close.
It's likely that less UK people will visit the EU, as our pound is about 20% down from last year and it may also affect our low cost airline prices.
I'm already eating out less in BP and I've put a hold on the redecoration of my apartment. But I think it's small fry really as there's only about 7000 UK people who live in Hungary.
But it may affect the 87,000 or so Hungarians who are currently living in the UK, and those thinking about living/working in the UK in the future.
Hopefully a good deal will be struck which will limit the impact on peoples lives and plans.

My husband and I have talked a bit about this subject.
I am American so worst case is people from the UK will be treated like I am in Hungary.
Need to get a resident card or visa to stay longer then 90 days with a 180 day break between visits.
My husband is Hungarian and so is our son but I was treated  no better  then yesterday's news at immigration.
That was 5 years ago, waiting now for my 10 year resident card but honestly the way I was treated 5 years ago did put a hold on all flat repairs, we bought the cheapest running car we could find and are still no  longer really willing to invest serious money in HU. Buying our flat 11 years ago was about the only large purchase we have made here, I keep feeling like I will be thrown out at any time for some dumb reason. Dang, I now think twice about buying even a new frying pan, won't be taking it back with me if I ever have to leave here for good.
Rather walk before they make me run.
In other words, even with the 10 year permit arriving any day now, I felt so dejected by immigration services here that I will never fell at home here even if another 10 years should pass.
We THINK they may give breaks to business owners such as yourself, retired people from the UK and those who have invested in HU to date.
Maybe it's time you married a HU women?Just kidding that could be a whole other set of issues.

Haha thanks Marilyn.
For info, is that rule more than 90 continuous days, or total 90 days in any 180 day period?
It's difficult to understand how it's defined.
So I guess you stayed 90 days then had to stay in the states or somewhere for 180 days before returning and reapplying?

Gazamataz - this link may help...
http://www.bmbah.hu/jomla/index.php?lang=en

Vicces1 wrote:

.... good Trappista sajt, instead looking for Dutch and French cheeses.  But I find a good Trappista to be the perfect accompaniment to a fat-laden, spicy Pick szalami -- the slight rubbery yet creamy texture of the cheese perfectly balances the flavors. And throw in some Eros Pista for extra spiciness and fresh paprika for crunch ....

This is the BREaKfast and Brexit forum too!  Excellent.

Actually, I am wondering what will happen to some of the superb British cheeses now, never mind Hungarian cheese.

Some these have protected designations (PDOs), like Parma ham.

Will these cheeses continue to have those EU regional protections after Brexit?

Makes me wonder about Jarlsberg, the Norwegian (non-EU) cheese. Is that actually regionally protected?   Wikipedia suggests not which surprises me.

I do not think Hungarian cheeses are quite as good as UK cheeses (now I've stirred it up). There's far too much salt in them and they do not have enough diversity.  There are stars in the HU cheese universe but for things like cheese on toast, you cannot beat a good extra mature cheddar from the alternate reality called the UK.  HU smoked cheese string theory perhaps.

See what I did there?

From what I understand and how it works in the US at least, one can stay for up to 90 days and then can not re enter for at least another 180 days. Think the same rules are in the EU.
I know this to be a fact in the US because my son first had a HU girlfriend who overstayed her visit, then he married her so she could come back. Then after his divorce from her he had his Japanese GF visit 3 times, She bought her ticket to Vegas and her time away was slightly less then 180 days. The held her up at the airport and took her into a back room and grilled her for over 3 hours as to why she was coming to the US so often.
My son sat outside, they didn't allow them to talk first or even to say hello.
They almost  sent her packing back to Japan.
Poor little thing, she barely speaks to people she knows let alone to the rough TSA agents.
The drama was too much for them so they got legally married.
She refused to visit him again ever unless they got married.
Romantic, maybe not but they are good friends and their marriage is real.