Brexit consequences for expats

Hi Veedushi,

Personally I would have voted for Brexit if I were living in the UK at the time. I am against this centralized Government thing and following Brexit we can see how those people who control the Brits behave.

Many of the points you bring up might happen but then it works both ways, so if the EU wants to get tough with the UK then probably the UK will do the same back at the EU. This is what the negotiations will all be about.

Nevertheless, because of the close relationship between the UK and the EU, I think that controls on visas, employment and studies will reach a compromise that benefits both sides. At least, this would be smart and I am sure it is what the Brits would like. The problem as I see it is that those who run the EU seem to be out for blood and to take revenge on the UK. If this was to happen then they could spoil things for everyone.

I have friends in the UK running local government. As far as they are concerned everyone in the UK has gone mad. Property prices will drop (not a bad thing for all), the price of holidays overseas will become much more expensive, and job security is a worry. Pensioners may get less than they expected, and already many of them must continue to work well beyond their retirement age to make ends meet.

Currently it has become very difficult for non Europeans to move to the UK to live and work. But perhaps in the future things will change and if the UK adopts the point system for immigration then that would allow people from other parts of the world to come to the UK to live and work. I do not see that as a bad thing.

But probably, like most people think, the rules about free movement within the EU was one of the deciding factors that made people vote for Brexit. That and having to hand over £349 million to the EU every week (now recalculated at £199 million I believe). Oh, and having people in Bruxelles like Jean Claude Juncker telling the Brits what they can and cannot do.

So I feel positive about the UK's future although it will take time. I believe that without the controls of the EU that the UK will thrive again in the future and perhaps do even better than before. I believe that in the future the UK will have more respect in the world, and continue to be a magnet for investment and for the wealthy. And I believe that many of the regulations that currently exist as part of the EU could loosely be continued but that it would very much depend on how tough the EU leaders want to be on the UK in the Brexit negotiations.

There are so many issues that could be discussed including border security. I feel the UK would like to be flexible, but we'll only really have an idea about all of this once the Brexit negotiations begin.

Brexit has turned out to be a double whammy for Switzerland!  :sosad:

The rich Brits are not prepared to splash out so much anymore and are staying away from the exclusive hotels in Zermatt (to look at the Matterhorn, drink tea etc.).
And lots of visitors from China, Japan and elsewhere that previously might have visited Switzerland are now all flocking to London attracted by the cheap British pound.

What shall we poor Swiss do?  :unsure

Actually, I'm pleased to know things are not going too bad for the UK.  ;)

El_Jost :

Actually, I'm pleased to know things are not going too bad for the UK.  ;)

How do you know? It will take 2 years and article 50 has not been triggered yet.

It's looking a lot like the politicians are either too wimpy to get on with the thing or they're too worried about their cushy eurojob being lost when they become has beens.
That lot show us why no one has any respect for their pointless breed.

I think that comment is very far from reality.

Politicians are taking their time in order to work out the best approach to Brexit and preparing for the negotiations which are extremely complex with repercussions into almost every aspect of British life. Rushing into it would be foolish. New Government departments have been established and work is going on in planning for the negotiations. The Brexit negotiations are possibly the most complicated negotiations that the British Government will ever make and they cannot afford to be unprepared or to badly negotiate as it would be considered as yet another failure of the current government. And, those with cushy Eurojobs who you speak of are not pulling the strings, these are mid level politicians who do not make policy.

Secondly, there always remains a possibility of Brexit not happening. As we keep hearing, if the vote was taken again, probably the British population would vote to stay. The fact is that nobody really expected Brexit to win and everyone was taken by surprise by the result. Now, in retrospect, with all the bad things that are happening to the UK economy and gloomy predictions ahead, people may demand a new vote.

But hey, don't get me wrong, if I was eligible to vote I would have voted pro-Brexit.

We all have to remember that Britain is the first country to leave the EU, so it is "The blind leading the blind" it is all unfamiliar ground for everyone, not just Britain but all the EU countries.

As Hanson says correctly it is a very complex situation as negotiations will take time and can not be rushed.

What will happen to EU citizens living in the UK, will they need a visa or not to continue to stay? The same with Brits living in the EU..... Thats just 2 questions there are many more.

Questions and answers about England

Ask your question
New in town!
By Ella.eleanor
Hangout in London anyone ?
By Patsy26
After brexit ...?
By walkingbotanist
Natasha Roberts
Any ideas how to make the transition a little bit easier?
By Natasha Roberts

Expatriate health insurance in England

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in England

Moving to England

Find tips from professionals about moving to England

Travel insurance in England

Enjoy a stress-free travel across England

Flights to England

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to England