Living on 1000 US Dollars per month in Asuncion.

May a person live all right on 1000 US Dollars in this city?  Rent a small apartment or furnished room.  Don't smoke and do little drinking! I buy and cook a lot of my own food and eat a lot of fruit and vegetables.  I eat a lot of meat, rice and potatoes.  What is the cost of hamburger, steak, pork, fish, milk, beer (from market)bread, fruit and vegetables?  Taxi costs in city and buses in city and to other cities?  Are there luxury busses and is it mountainous in most places or on most trips? 

Thanks,  Pablo

Hi Pablo,
you can find cost estimates here https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5173

USD / Guarani now is same 4.600 G per 1 USD so price quoted are more or less the same.

In general, I say yes you can live on 1,000 USD easily.  However, most rental places here are let unfurnished.  You can find nice places and well located at 300 USD per month, but you will need to look for a while... as normal everywhere the more you pay the quicker you find a place.

So at first you will probably spend more than 1,000 USD as you will need to buy furniture.  Eg: bed, table, fridge, etc

Groceries about 150 USD maximum *actually for more than 1 person

Beer at stores:
1 lt = 1.74 USD
3/4 l= 1.30 USD

local bus 52 cents Asuncion region. Bus to other cities like Encarnacion, Ciudad del Este (farter away in the Arg/Brazil border)15 USD

fish (river fish) is the most expensive meat at 8,60 USD / kg
beef more and more expensive nowdays but nice cut for barbecue 3.90 USD / kg (vacio) and loin for steak 7 USD per kg.

as an estimate, there are open barbecue restaurants where you eat as much as you like including salads and dessert for 10 USD (drinks not included).

good luck!

i also found this site useful --
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … 2=Asuncion

here's a comparison of prices in Columbus <-> Asuncion

I have not been in Paraguay for a while, but it seems 1thousand USD should be more than enough...One could live virtually anywhere, out of the USA and such for this amt of money...

I could live like a king on $1000 dollars a month!  Anyone know of how I can make that much money?  :)

Hello phil11 and welcome to Expat.com!

For your question redwingpy, work is the only solution. ;)

Or maybe winning a lottery...;)

Regards,
Harmonie.

redwingpy wrote:

I could live like a king on $1000 dollars a month!  Anyone know of how I can make that much money?  :)

1,000 USD a month is not that much anymore.  If you live in Asuncion, you would be in middle class zone already but just barely.